Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anybody started to trim any of their bond funds back?

2»

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Hi JohnChisum,

Welcome to the board. I am soon to be sixty five and will soon retire from the working world myself. Currently, my asset allocation is about 40% stocks, 30% bonds and 20% cash and 10% alternatives. Recently, I began the process to pare back my fixed income sleeve and let some longer duration funds go (NEFRX & LIGRX) than I wished to hold. Currently, the sleeve holds several multi sector funds (NEFZX, LBNDX), a global fixed (TPINX) and three short duration income funds (ITAAX, LALDX, THIFX) for a total of six funds. I am thinking of letting TPINX go and picking up TSIAX to replace it in the near term.

As to any thoughts on ASIOX I don't follow this fund and with this I have no comment to make. However, you can input its symbol into Instant Ray and view learning much about it. To pull its Morningstar report just click on the blue highligt of the fund's at the bottom of the Xray Report and this will take you to the report itself.

To get you going I have provided a link to the Instant Xray entry page.

http://portfolio.morningstar.com/Rtport/Free/InstantXrayDEntry.aspx?entrynum=10

Again, Welcome to the board ... and, most of all "Good Investing."

Skeeter
  • Thanks Skeeter. Before I comment I must apologize for hijacking your thread.

This whole bond market fiasco has been cooking for some time. We are living in a truly historic time financially. I have been holding onto my fixed income allocation but as you have done also, I have moved more into short duration instruments when I could. Also diversifying into foreign bonds has improved my performance. The global real estate fund ARYVX is one I bought at inception. The real estate market in Asia continues to move along and now the US seems to be improving though I worry about the speed it is rising. Another bubble? We will know in due time.

I have to mention that I forgot to list MAPTX as one of my holdings. That makes 7 funds for me.
  • For a bit of an alternative to bond funds, you might review PJH.. (Prudential Preferred Stock- 5.75%, callable in 2052, quarterly payment), also WFCPRO, Wells Fargo. 2.96%.

Very Solid.
    Best
    Steve
  • edited June 2013
    Reply to @JohnChisum: Hello, again. You have a plan you're following, and that's the most important thing. Yes, you mentioned MAPTX twice. (Matthews tiger, yes?) I think the Market has lately been on a sugar-high, until that slightest hint at QE being pulled back was mentioned by the FOMC.... This Market will be in a funk for some time to come. I see a return to a new normal again in a generation or two, really. I'm doing my best to keep my head above water, minimize losses and ride it out. Of course, it IS possible to do too much. I'm very much aware that an investor CAN be his own worst enemy, and so I respect the input I get here, and don't change what I'm already doing very often. ...From another angle, this recent downdraft could be seen as a buying opportunity. I wouldn't venture off the reservation. The folks in here know what they're talking about. The recommendations shared in here give us all a collective leg-up.
  • Max, I was suffering from ticker symbol dyslexia. I meant to type MAPIX. I have 3 funds from Matthews.

Thanks for all the advice.
  • I blame my fingers, they're the dyslexic intruders. "Investors of the world, untie!"