Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What has happened to Ted?

edited May 2013 in Fund Discussions
It's been a long time since I read (and enjoyed) Ted's links and/or
comments. I considered him a MFO bulwark, offering actionable
information. Hope he's doing well, or enjoying a vacation.

Comments

• It's not uncommon for Ted to just drop out for any old reason. His current hiatus may be due to the call of the golf course. Or not.
  • There are, I suspect, a trio of contributors to his absence. He and I have had, since launch, a respectful disagreement about my approach to the site; his strong and principled preference is for fewer "bells and whistles," less off-topic discussion and a simpler visual presentation. He experienced, and experienced great frustration with, some technical issue about a month ago. He was having trouble accessing the site; chip tried to walk through some of the more obvious causes with him (Firefox has a design glitch where magnifying the screen without checking the "enlarge text only" box causes sites to appear blank) but this issue was never resolved. Finally, there have always been folks who have been at odds with Ted's style, including his specialty of providing links with minimal commentary.

My suspicion is that the confluence of those factors may have convinced Ted that his time is better spent in other activities. If there were factors of health or family obligation involved, I do not know of them.

We are, in any case, poorer for his absence.

David
  • edited May 2013

Investment related News and Blog links

Blog links remain in place for 72 hours, and then drop off the list. Not all inclusive; but many good links.
    News links (left column) have about a 12 hour (old to new) range
  • David, thanks for the explanation. Usually I miss the less-than-subtle reasons for
    internet behavior. And Catch, my wife will "hate" you for tying me to the computer
    for another 30 minutes a day. Seriously, thanks for exposing me to this link.
  • Reply to @David_Snowball:

Well said David. Although Ted seemed brusque at times, deep down many of us are poorer for his absence.

Mike_E
  • good morning - Ted is probably at a golf course somewhere in Fla. He did mentioned or posted previously an article 'sell in May and go away'. So I suspect he is hibernating until the weather gets colder in Fall/Winter. he is a MF guru indeed
  • I haven't been on that much lately, and am mostly a lurker. I always enjoyed Ted's links, but also miss the Funds Boat report that Catch issued weekly that seemed to be quite maligned by Ted.
  • There have been a few daily-staple posters I enjoyed over the years that reduced participation or just plain went away. I used to log in each morning as soon as I got to work for rono's 'Asia and the Metals' daily and Ted's links. Fundmetals consistent portfolio reviews were always good reads. CathyG always had great questions where I always seemed to learn something new.

Ted has disappeared before and always come back in the past. I hope he comes back again. Life is too short not to change with the flow.
  • edited May 2013
    Hello,

For those that have been around the board for sometime know that Ted has left in the past and returned a few months or so down the road. I too miss his post ... and, I sincerely hope he decides to return soon rather than sometime in the distant future.

The board is just not the same without him.

Skeeter