Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A strange asset transfer - what to do?

edited April 2013 in Off-Topic
Over a year ago my nephew, a college student, consolidated his small accounts by tranferring them to Vanguard; most were Roths. However, one taxable account did not generate a 1099 and he caught this over the weekend when comparing his 2012 return with the 2011 return. He called Vanguard and was told that the account came in as a Roth. It left D&C as a regular account and he has the paperwork to show it. Anybody had this problem, and how do you fix it?

Comments

• Can we assume that written proof of prior ownership in a regular account before the transfer has been sent to Vanguard? And what does the transfer paperwork from D&C look like?

While it probably will require some work by your nephew, off the cuff, I'd say producing hard copies of those documents should help sort out who had the fat-fingers during the transaction.
  • edited April 2013
    For mis-categorized fund:

1. Photocopy last statement from old provider (D&C) - preferrably the one that shows the transfer out to Vanguard.

2. Photocopy statement from Vanguard showing transfer in (as Roth).

3. Send photocopies to Vanguard via Certified USPS Mail, with cc: to D&C. With brief explanatory cover letter. Say that you will be contacting them.

4. After Vanguard has received letter (check via USPS website), call them two days later.

5. Ask to speak with a/your representative. Ask them how will Vanguard fix the problem.

6. Write down who you spoke to and what they said. Send them a confirming e-mail.

Think that should do it. - Good luck.
  • edited April 2013
    Tell your nephew to go to the bar and have a drink so that the next morning he doesn't remember which kind of account was which.

Why punish yourself for being more intelligent then the dummies working at Vanguard and why waste your time when the mistake is in your favor?:
    Heads- You save time when the IRS figures it out in collaboration with Vanguard. No one's going to hold you accountable for something that wasn't your mistake (and if they do THEN you can hold accountable whoever's really responsible...I'm sure Vanguard would rather reimburse you any minor IRS penalties than be taken to court where you'd have documents from the federal government proving what their error has cost you).
    Tails- They never figure it out and you effectively received a free IRA overcontribution.

• ibartman's advice is good.

I would just add: be firm, polite, patient and unintimidated. And maybe keep ibartman's steps handy as a reminder of what the plan is.

I got into a strange situation with Vanguard customer service a couple of years back in which I was courteously being told to do things with a trust which I knew I could not do. I knew the representative, however insistent she might be, had to be mistaken. It took me a surprisingly long time to get the issue escalated to the level where the mistake could be recognized. Still, patient persistence will usually do the trick eventually. If not, your nephew can always suggest that he has heard that the nice folks at Fidelity or T. Rowe Price take a long-term term view of young investors and may be able to help him better with all his accounts.

gfb

• edited April 2013
    (-: oops
  • Thanks to all who responded! Now we have some very good pointers to guide how we handle this...and it looks like any penalty can be avoided should Vanguard cooperate. It will be in their best interest to do so as our family has a number of other portfolios there in addition to nephews stuff.
    On the face of it, it looks like the port came out of D&C correctly, and we will verify that with them. The draft of a letter to V is the very model of firmess, politeness, etc., and once we dump it on V they should have every incentive to locate Mr/Ms Fatfinger.
    If you all can stand it, I'll keep you posted. If it doesn't go well, I'll be heading for the bar...
    best, hawk
  • Reply to @hawkmountain: Hey there- by all means, lte us know how V handles this. Good luck.