Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Human behavior and bear markets

edited April 2013 in Fund Discussions
Since gold's high in August 2011 the price has declined in the vicinity of 30%. Silver has declined some 54% since its April 2011 high. Listening to all the sages today on CNBC and elsewhere I hear a lot about don't worry, be happy because prices will go back up to the highs. I was hearing the same rhetoric in mid-2000 after the NASDAQ had declined over 30% and we saw how that eventually ended. True, precious metals aren't stocks but the previous bear market in gold lasted 20 years and the last bear market in silver about as long. Respect price action and don't be clouded by your biases, be that gold, stocks, or any investing/trading vehicle.

Edit: Lumpy died today. We oldtimers fondly remember that TV character from Leave It To Beaver.
Edit: And yes I know, the NASDAQ was more of a bubble than maybe gold and silver at their highs but the point is, bear markets can last a lot longer than the soothsayers would lead you to believe.

Comments