Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

IMAGINE.....John Lennon..... I've grown so weary of psychopaths, pandering and lies

You may not agree with all of the topics in the song, but the overall theme has meaning to me; since day one. Ironically RIP Mr. Lennon

SONG LINK

Comments

• Thanks, I had completely forgotten about that one. It is like one long sigh.
  • edited October 17
    I agree with every topic in that song. Imagine. He died so young. I always wondered what other mind-stimulating lyrics he was meant to write but never would.
  • So true @MikeM. Just imagine.
  • I'll add that the image with the song is a 'Sunrise', not a 'Sunset' for my mind; for the most positive thoughts and desires.
  • Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us, only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will live as one
  • edited October 17
    Always been one of my favorite songs. (Not stepping on my toes.) His wife Yoko Ono was later listed as a co-writer of the song. He commented that he’d been inspired to write it by one of her poems.

@catch 22. Getting nuts, isn’t it? The TV commercials! Stacked one on top another now. In a given 2 or 3 minute commercial break you’ll get Trump / Harris / Trump again. Never ending.

Lennon and The Beetles produced some masterpieces. They were best in a studio setting. Some of their songs they recorded dozens of times over, producing multiple tracks. Led by Phil Spector, their talented manager, they’d “slice and dice”. Some guitar from this track. Some percussion from this one. Maybe have John singing in sync with himself using his voice from different tracks. So a single released recording might have parts of a great many tracks in it. Common today. Relatively new in their day. Helps explain the majestic sounds they produced. An immense amount of time and work went into them. Loads of great information about the group / specific songs on the internet - if anyone wants a break from hearing about the election. Lots at Wikipedia about various songs.

BTW - I think the entire “Abby Road” album is very good.

Here’s John Lennon’s soothing “Sun King” from their “Abby Road” album. Don’t worry about the unintelligible words. It’s not a foreign language. Just a bunch of syllables Lennon invented thinking they sounded good. I believe this was the last album they did together. The group was disintegrating at the time .

• I'm feeling like a teenager after visiting this thread !
    Thanks All, Derf
  • edited October 17
    My companion add for 'Imagine'; for the thought/lyric.

And somewhere in my ancient genes finds a connection to the rhythms of Indian and Middle Eastern sounds. What does this mean? My genes are Anglo/Saxon.

Within you, Without you. George Harrison.

Lyric graphic is included with the video images. No CC available.

A center section of the song is instrumental for about 1 minute, so no lyrics there.

AND, @hank Yes, the tv ads are way into crazy land; for too many, at least.
  • @hank, Phil Spector never managed the Beatles. Just helped produce a couple records with them very late in their careers. Brain Epstein was their manager.
  • @MikeM - My mistake. (First ever):)

You are most certainly correct. Although Spector did do some work for the Beetles after Epstein.
  • Memories! Ravi Shankar. Oh, the connections: Concert For Bangladesh. After George died, there was the Concert For George. I saw the redux in the theater a couple of years ago. Norah Jones is Shankar's daughter. And Shankar's other daughter led some wonderful Indian music included in the Concert For George. Fabulous stuff.
  • Yes, a great concert and tribute.