Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Florida... this could be bad. Who's going to help?

Wow, Florida in the path of another hurricane. Who's going to help when everybody (linemen) all the way to Canada are in western NC. Linemen and FEMA are going to be spread really thin. Cross your fingers it's not catastrophic.

Comments

• edited October 7
    This is cute. I will believe the report at this time, as it reads about right for the governor. He's gotta be the strongman.
    Snippet: White House pushes back after DeSantis declines to return calls from Biden and Harris on storm recovery
    CNN article.
    Lastly, and sadly, Florida gets another whack.
  • edited October 7
    Yep, all this blowing off for 30 years what any sane group of people would agree had to be done is coming home to roost. So sorry for the poor people who are getting caught in these disasters: lives wrecked right and left.
  • gman57 said:

Wow, Florida in the path of another hurricane. Who's going to help when everybody (linemen) all the way to Canada are in western NC. Linemen and FEMA are going to be spread really thin. Cross your fingers it's not catastrophic.

Oh, but it's not so bad the House has to come back into session to make FEMA whole enough to respond to multiple disasters at once.
  • I spent a lotta time in FL as a younger man. Most of it's been paved, since. I've never seen hurricane warnings posted so far inland, almost to the EAST coast of the peninsula---given that uncle Miltie will strike from the Gulf side. Friends there, still. My old stomping grounds: Goldenrod, Oviedo, Winter Park, Orlando, Longwood, Ocala. it will be a hellish, lethal mess when it's over. So very sad.
  • Update: Florida governor finally has a Monday evening chat with White House folks regarding the coming hurricane.
    Article HERE, only for clarification of the report, if you choose to read.
  • Alice in Wonderland. What kind of "leader" requires pressure to obtain help for his voters? These people are really something else.
  • What kind of leader? You're watching them in real time all huffing and puffing on the faux news stages.
  • More like faux news stooges.
  • People will die. Climate is causing worse and worse weather junk, year after year. Too many vested interests insist on ignoring it. Maybe it will just go away? Sure... Already there are places underwater, from which people have been forced to leave. When it happens to The Keys, will that be enough of a wake-up call?
  • edited October 9
    Sounds bad. I often frequented the Tampa area between the ages of 35 and 65. If memory serves, there’s an inlet off of Tampa Bay that is known as “Old Tampa Bay” that is relatively small and very vulnerable to storm surge. There’s a long causeway running across that from near the TPA airport across Rocky Point Island and several miles over water to St. Pete and Clearwater. I suspect portions will wash out (in a Cat 4 or 5 storm). Yikes - Was considering a trip to the Asheville area before the storm hit them. Than had half a mind to visit Sarasota - which is in the bulls eye now. The Southeast is really getting hammered.