Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MFCFX - History of crushing performance, but now a new manager

beebee
edited April 2013 in Fund Discussions
I have owned the fund (MFCFX) in the past and I enjoyed its past performance (Large/Mid Cap Growth). Doug Roa is no longer managing and it's new managers have only been on the job for less than 1 year. Another fund I compare it to in its catagory is SGROX. Over the past year SGROX has under performed partly due to its concentration in Tech while MFCFX has had more success with it concentration in consumer cyclicals.

Anyone have another LC/Mid growth choice?

Comments

• I invested in MFCFX a small amount when it's expense ratio was 0.75% I also had invested in SGROX but sold after it closed as I had FDGRX and AKREX. I suggest you use AKREX in place of MFCFX.
  • Reply to @Investor:

Here's a interview with him:

Interview starts about 11 minutes through this podcast:
    recent-shows/podcast
  • edited April 2013
    Two thoughts: POGRX has similar cap breakdown and international exposure; or PRWAX which is slightly lower in the average cap and less international.
  • I currently own MFCFX and have no plans to sell (yet). I was very dissappointed when Mr. Roa left but so far the fund has performed fairly well. I would not rule out MFCFX just yet, the new managers deserve a little time. They produced superior returns last year and so far this year are in the middle of the pack.

Just one man's opinion.

Good luck in whatever you decide!!
  • I scaled back to the minimum after Rao left.