Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

NIXT

Thanks for the MFO article. Interesting concept. I will add to my watch list. NIXT concept should be easy to validate by back testing since little room for judgement. I wonder how they populate the portfolio at startup? Depending on how they do that might affect volatility. Cash might flow in faster than stocks purchased "dumped stocks" in portfolio. They say the fund will be small cap value. It seems some of the S&P 500 dumps might be larger cap?? Thanks for making me aware.

Comments

• Curious, how do you validate (back-testing)? I noticed NIXT in the MFO Commentary as well. Not sure how to find historical "proof".
  • Y'all have faith in decent long term returns from anything involved with Rob Arnott???
    Seriously, I'd like to know if someone has found a good Arnott fund.
    Thank you.
  • If such a process works consistently, it would be of interest. It may be just another gimmick.

The Deletions ETF (NIXT) is essentially a bet on long-term reversion to the mean. Index deletions are typically followed by sell-offs. Arnott hopes to find value in unusually depressed stock prices.

“.... historical evidence that they win by 5% a year for the next five years, at least.”

• edited September 7
    I haven't researched the historical evidence which supports the NIXT ETF.
    As far as I know, no funds were previously created to take advantage of this phenomena.
    Why haven't other firms marketed funds to harvest this apparent source
    of significant alpha (vs. Russell 2000 Value Index)?
  • Hmmm. There are 30 RAFI / RAE / Arnott funds, of which 20 have outperformed their peers since inception. Six are Great Owls. Eleven fall in the top tier of MFO Ratings.

There is a old joke in the economics profession that involves two economists – one young and one old – walking down the street together: The young economist looks down and sees a $20 bill on the street and says, “Hey, look a twenty-dollar bill!” Without even looking, his older and wiser colleague replies, “Nonsense. If there had been a twenty-dollar lying on the street, someone would have already picked it up by now.”
  • I would think that any equal weight strategy takes advantage of reversion to the mean. FWIW RSPS is vastly underperforming this year relative to consumer defensive benchmark. That's what I'm buying now.
  • I wonder what the dividend yield would be on these bombed out stocks?
  • wow. out of the gates fast +4-5%. wait and see how their metrics unfold.
  • edited September 17
    One can go to Research Affiliates website and download the fact sheet for this ETF index and other info. You can see yield, metrics, sharp ratio, and much more.

This is my first visit to this thread. On a cursory read, I am surprised by the level of skepticism.

Disclosure: I did not read the MFO article.
  • Update. Appears to trade similar to VBR thus far. Need more time to wait and see. Need more volatility to test the methodology. Fact sheet estimating 3.0% yield.