Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

BONDS The week that was.....W/E October 18, 2024.....Every which way for bond NAV's this week

124»

Comments

• edited October 19

@WABAC, that looks like stale info for USFR.

Website shows 30-day SEC yield 4.75%, 10/18/24.
    https://www.wisdomtree.com/investments/etfs/fixed-income/usfr

Treasury shows FRN Index at 4.567%, 10/18/24. This is the variable rate for FRNs.

USFR has ER of 15 bps.

Thanks @yogibearbull. I pulled that number from Yahoo because M* seems to be stuck on Thursday asset prices for OEF's, so I wasn't sure what else was wrong there. Looks like %5.38 is the TTM yield. M* shows 4.75% for the SEC rate, if M* can be believed.

Of main importance to me is that total return for the week and four week periods shows USFR ahead of MM's available to me. I had been rocking along with XONE, but bailed recently, as I describe elsewhere. If conditions change, it's easy enough to change with them.

• Hi @catch22,

Sorry to hear your back to back health / medical situations. I hope you make a full recovery and adjust to the changes.

please reconsider the end date for this series. You can skip some weeks to attend to personal matters / vacations/ rest, etc.

I noted TMF was subpar vs EDV for the week.
  • BaluBalu said:

I noted TMF was subpar vs EDV for the week.

Hard to imagine paying that much money to be 3x leveraged long.

Might be more fun to just set the money on fire.

• @WABAC, there is YINN for that.
  • Hi @BaluBalu
    A potential report 'end date' will always be an open consideration.

As to TMF and EDV; well, we're seldom sure of what the 'pro' traders are attempting to do, eh? We've had about 2% of our portfolio in TMF for a few years, awaiting yield changes that would promote a decent price gain. TMF has travelled a rough chart during this period; as does its alter ego of TBT (the short position). These have always been 'hot potatoes'; but while we await pricing gains, we do have a tiny offset of a 3.33% yield. Generally, we do not enter an investment with only a 2% position, as this is not meaningful to any real support for an overall portfolio; but we took a fling and will patiently wait.
    The recent good economic news and ongoing rising inflation potentials, as well as the looming election results are likely placing more pressure on the long duration bonds. Only my 'best guess'.
  • catch22 said:

Hi @BaluBalu
    A potential report 'end date' will always be an open consideration.

As to TMF and EDV; well, we're seldom sure of what the 'pro' traders are attempting to do, eh? We've had about 2% of our portfolio in TMF for a few years, awaiting yield changes that would promote a decent price gain. TMF has travelled a rough chart during this period; as does its alter ego of TBT (the short position). These have always been 'hot potatoes'; but while we await pricing gains, we do have a tiny offset of a 3.33% yield. Generally, we do not enter an investment with only a 2% position, as this is not meaningful to any real support for an overall portfolio; but we took a fling and will patiently wait.
    The recent good economic news and ongoing rising inflation potentials, as well as the looming election results are likely placing more pressure on the long duration bonds. Only my 'best guess'.

I'm totally ignorant about what you are trying to do with these moves. What do you aim for that couldn't be hit with some other type of investment?

• Hi @WABAC
    The 2% of the portfolio in TMF is only for playing, with the hope of making a profit on the sell. I fully expected the profit side to trigger a sell, quite a while ago. The investment will not go to 0 and/or become worthless and I should have given a better look at the technical chart. The remainder of the portfolio is buttoned down fairly well to the conservative side; and not subject to playing or whims.
  • edited October 21
    On USFR, I figure that current distribution yield is between 5.00% (the last dividend only div by current price) and 5.20% (average of the last two dividends div by current price). The last div was lower than the average of the past few months.

(Of course there's more than one way to figure current yield; your choice.)
  • catch22 said:

Hi @WABAC
    The 2% of the portfolio in TMF is only for playing, with the hope of making a profit on the sell. I fully expected the profit side to trigger a sell, quite a while ago. The investment will not go to 0 and/or become worthless and I should have given a better look at the technical chart. The remainder of the portfolio is buttoned down fairly well to the conservative side; and not subject to playing or whims.

OK. Thanks for trying to educate me. :)
  • @catch22,

Check out Tradr ETFs and you may find the leveraged ETF that matches better with your timeline.