Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trumpster and investing.

edited July 18 in Off-Topic
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/investing/2024/07/16/what-trump-told-bloomberg-businessweek-about-plans-for-his-second-term/
Well... Still unfit for office, and if he were in jail where he belongs as a convicted Felon, the shooting would not have happened, yes? Nevertheless, armed violence needs to be stamped out. But it won't ever happen: too many idolaters worship at the Altar of Numberless, Uncountable, Unlimited Firearms.

I'm reading and interrupting myself, in order not to forget what I might have to say. So, as ever, he is "transactional." Translation: one hand washes the other. Even corrupt criminals operate by some sort of code, we used to say. Or as my Irish grandmother used to say: "there's favors even in hell." Transactional? THAT'S not going to change.

Tariffs, I'd say, are indeed the thing to do re: China, Russia and anyone else who wants to align with THEM. They are the ones causing de-globalization by making themselves opponents again, enemies of western, civilized, rule of Law countries. Make Taiwan pay? That's a thought from out of some alternative universe. Why the devil do you think they need us? If they didn't need our assistance, they could stand alone against the Chinese. But they are unable, by themselves. And I might also mention the bullying, terroristic action of the Chinese Navy/Coast Guard against Filipino ships. Freedom of navigation in the Taiwan Strait and elsewhere needs to be ensured.

We already know that Trump would not support money for Ukraine. His favorite foreign pal is the Poot-fart in Moscow.

But by all means, no matter who's in charge, re-shoring our own domestic manufacturing industry ought to be a priority. It can only be a GOOD thing. Even Yamamoto himself understood the USA's industrial might was "awesome." Not anymore. Let's get it back. But a universal tariff on imports is not the way to go. SELECTIVE tariffs imposed on unfriendly nations sounds to me to be much more on target. Anyhow, we're not getting any chips from Russia. If it weren't for their own oil and gas, they'd be in the crapper. Politically, it's already a horror-show over there. It's a Mafia-style regime, from top to bottom. (Think about "Goodfellas," but with everyone speaking Russian.)
Aileen Cannon? Utterly out of step, utterly unethical, utterly and transparently doing everything she can to see that Trump AVOIDS dealing with the consequences of his criminal actions.

As with the Nixon White House, the fox is in charge of the henhouse. I did not see much in that linked transcript about immigration reform. Tighten the borders, yes. The current immigration crisis will be solved only when the countries to our South are no longer s-hole countries. Corrupt, inept governments, and in some places, cartels and STREET GANGS are calling the shots, instead of the "legitimate" government. Shades of Somalia in Africa. It's just a hot mess to our South.