Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Estate & Gift Planning

edited July 29 in Off-Topic
An article on Estate & Gift Planning that I published in a local community e-paper (IndoUS Tribune) may be of interest to some here.
https://indoustribune.com/business/estate-gift-planning/

Comments

• Just read it. Thank you very much. My lawyer cousin advised me, from the Mainland: "you don't even need a Will, if you own no property. Just make your accounts are all joint. Keep your beneficiary current."

But State of Hawaii has legally inserted itself, creating a pretext to send an estate into probate anytime there is no Will. So my local tax woman told me. So, we'll need to do a Will. The old one really does not apply. Too old, too many changes. It's on our agenda, soon.
  • edited July 13
    @Crash, good that you found it useful.

I just searched small estate probate rules in Hawaii (each state has some variations), and the info says that the limit in Hawaii is $100K (in financial assets), BUT if any real property is involved, and there is no Will or trust, the estate has to be probated.

It is important to get a local estate lawyer, not one in another state. There is a reason why the lawyers need local licenses with very few reciprocal privileges.

• Your article is a gracious gesture that will help folks have a better understanding of things they need to do help them arrange their financial matters.
  • Thanks YBB
  • edited July 29
    The US is a melting pot of immigrants. But the path to naturalized citizenship is long. In many families, one or more members may be noncitizens. Briefly outlined in the link from IndoUS Tribune (a local community e-paper) are situations where your immigration or domicile (or resident) status may matter – with special attention to estates & gifts.
    https://indoustribune.com/business/personal-finance-for-noncitizens/