Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

LUV: Huh? What?

This is what passes for "communication" these days. WTF does this even say? This is code, wrapped in an enigma, clothed in a riddle, and packaged in gobbledygook.

...The reduction in the Company’s RASM [revenue per available seat mile] expectations was driven primarily by complexities in adapting its revenue management to current booking patterns in this dynamic environment,” Southwest said in a filing.

Comments

• Southwest can't figure out yield management in the current travel market.
    https://www.tts.com/blog/yield-management-in-the-airline-industry/

If that still sounds like gobbledygook: Southwest is having problems pricing its seats - it's either underpricing (not maximizing revenue) or overpricing (not filling seats), or both (e.g. overpricing then having last minute sales). This is because it hasn't figured out the market.

I went to a travel show a few months ago where a speaker suggested buying tickets 2-4 months out. The airlines price tickets higher if you buy tickets earlier than that because they figure you really, really want to fly on a specific date so you'll pay up. And people who discover at the last minute that they need to fly somewhere are also willing to pay a higher price.
  • ” ...The reduction in the Company’s RASM [revenue per available seat mile] expectations was driven primarily by complexities in adapting its revenue management to current booking patterns in this dynamic environment,” Southwest said in a filing. “

Try saying that after a couple drinks.
  • msf said:

Southwest can't figure out yield management in the current travel market.
    https://www.tts.com/blog/yield-management-in-the-airline-industry/

If that still sounds like gobbledygook: Southwest is having problems pricing its seats - it's either underpricing (not maximizing revenue) or overpricing (not filling seats), or both (e.g. overpricing then having last minute sales). This is because it hasn't figured out the market.

I went to a travel show a few months ago where a speaker suggested buying tickets 2-4 months out. The airlines price tickets higher if you buy tickets earlier than that because they figure you really, really want to fly on a specific date so you'll pay up. And people who discover at the last minute that they need to fly somewhere are also willing to pay a higher price.

I flew AA on a trip back East, lately. No surprises, except my flight times and gates were (not radically) changed before my travel date, outbound. And I received alerts. My friend flew to meet me on SWA. His experience was a catastrophe. Delays and more delays, and flights leaving earlier than he was originally told. He received no alerts. I would not fly SWA again, until it becomes a different airline.

@hank: agreed!
  • edited June 27
    Don’t get megoing on the airlines …

- Of 3 trips since the first of December I’ve been boarded and then taxied and returned to the terminal 4 times.

- On a 5th we got within a couple hundred miles of the final destination (home) and turned back to land at the departing airport (ORD) due to mechanical problems.

- On one the departing flight was cancelled at 1 PM and checked luggage returned. But the flight then departed at 8 PM.

- On 2 of those 3 trips I was stranded overnight in Chicago after the first flight landed anywhere between 5 and 8 hours late causing a missed connection.

- On one (into Key West) the incoming flights were so backed up we waited 90 minutes to get off the sweltering plane out on the tarmac.

- On one, after we’d taxied back to the gate for mechanical issues, a woman ahead of me in first class began screaming at the male flight attendant: “I want another drink. Bring me a drink now!” But he refused to jump rope at her command. Settled down only after he threatened to bring the plane’s skipper back to talk to her. I believe I’ve since seen this woman several times on Bloomberg being interviewed about stocks. Very important Wall Street person (at a big investment bank).
  • one of the reasons i retired early was that status within the corporate world was partly determined by FF status.

not only were people wasting their lives in airport lounges, but 1 month later could not cite anything the trip accomplished. it was very much driven top-down, with ~2% of the company using 90% of the travel budget...until the CFO needed to hit some annual savings metric.
  • Indeed! I believe every word.