Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

off to Morningstar!

Let me know if there's anything you'd like Charles or me to pursue.

Tuesday night: media reception with, it seems, some reflections by Jason Zweig and perhaps wine with Charles.

Wednesday: 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. sort of day, with storms. The whole shebang is that the Navy Pier. Requested attire is "business casual" with a recommendation that sport coats would be appropriate. (Insert "eye roll" about here. College professors don't own summer-weight sport coats because we're not in the classroom in summer. Sorry, Morningstar, schedule something during tweed season.) Meeting with Andrew Choi (Parnassus Core Equity) and Greg Stitt (Centre Global Infrastructure). Q&A / press conference sorts of things with Doug Kass, formerly of the head of "go-to-market" (??) with OpenAI, and Savita Subramanian, managing director at BoA.

Thursday. 7:00 a.m. - gettin' out of Dodge before the Rush Hour arrives day, cooler and pleasant. Breakfast with Brad Barrie of Dynamic Wealth Group, an MFO reader. Interviews with two major bond investors, Mary Ellen Stanek of Baird and Alice Rilling of AllSpring. Interviews with two Morningstar folks, Amy Arnott (author of their latest asset allocation research) and Adam Fleck of Sustainalytics (their ESG arm). Short chat with one of the founders of Boston Partners.

The shape of the conference is pretty clear. Smaller venue. Fewer managers. Fewer fund firms exhibiting (heck, not even Ariel, their long-term fave). $1200 admission for the hoi polloi. More and more panels that earn CFP continuing ed credit, more and more "how to build and manage your advisory business" ones. Not even sure that I'll see Hurricane Chuck there.

I'll keep you updated! And thanks to all the folks whose support makes it possible!

Comments

• Enjoy yourself David. You deserve it.

Talk to as many Mutual fund mangers as you can. They cant be happy with M* increasing focus on Advisors. I think it is only a matter of time before they pull the plug on what few tools they still support for individuals.

Couple that with the increasing consolidation in the advisory business and the entrance of PE, soon there will be few choices left. Judging from my interactions with the Schwab recommended Group, Advisors are getting rolled up into nationwide firms managing Billions in cookie cutter portfolios. We maybe left with Schwab and about 3 massive firms there, Fidelity and Vanguard.
  • edited June 25
    I'd be curious what Choi from Parnassus has to say - I've always liked their Equity Income Fund despite the WFC issue some years ago. I bailed out a few years ago when the fund was getting more growthy than I wanted. (Would be nice if they made an ETF of PRBLX/PRILX.) Maybe see how they're doing post their assimilation by AMG?

Interestingly, the Centre Global Infrastructure reads a *lot* like my Schwab income portfolio, though it's doing better and without the 1.57 ER, so yay me.

• M* is dumping its TAMP business for RIAs. There goes its reach for financial advisors.

It will stick to its own knitting - rating stuff (funds, stocks, bonds), making lots of money from its advise-platforms, managing assets in-house. Oh, and that ESG by Sustainalytics turned out to be another mistimed dud.

https://riabiz.com/a/2024/6/24/morningstars-sale-of-tamps-12-billion-book-of-business-to-assetmark-ends-two-year-run-that-fell-short-on-growth-whether-rias-stick-or-flee-will-determine-fate-of-deal
  • for baird :
    how can they justify triple the ER when solid quasi-active bond fund\etfs from vanguard do just as well on most/all long term metrics? (and have looked deeply into muni)
    they have very low I-shares minimums for all bond funds, but is there any benefit for becoming a large (50k,100k,250k) fundholder?

for m* :
    why do they think the new screeners are better? still missing some useful old feature, such as date of most recent analyst report.
    given their long&regular history with technical problems, suggest they go very carefully into adding onerous login complexity.
  • edited June 25
    David

Since you will be meeting with M* folks in person, please tell them how valuable this individual investor finds the OLD portfolio manger. I have been using it for years and find it much better than the new version in "Investor".

The latter does not allow importing a spreadsheet and only has ten data columns and no summary on the Watch lists.
  • @sma3
    1000% !
    maybe not remind 'em its still there ?!?
  • a2z
    !!!
  • edited June 25
    a2z said:

for baird :
    how can they justify triple the ER when solid quasi-active bond fund\etfs from vanguard do just as well on most/all long term metrics? (and have looked deeply into muni)
    they have very low I-shares minimums for all bond funds, but is there any benefit for becoming a large (50k,100k,250k) fundholder?

I can't agree with you, with exception to the ER. I invest in a few Baird and Vanguard municipal bond funds. Two are BMQIX and VWIUX which I consider similar. Over any time period since BMQIX has existed, it's returns have been superior to VWIUX. I have no problem paying 30 basis points for BMQIX vs 9 for VWIUX.

• M* staff's has promised to keep the old M* Portfolio until the new M* Investor matches its capability. So, that has meant yearly extensions for M* Portfolio so far.
  • edited June 25
    Baird has several good muni bond funds.
    Although 30 bps is not the lowest expense ratio, it is quite reasonable.
    Morningstar indicates 0.30% falls within the least expensive fee quintile
    in the US National Intermediate-Term Muni Bond category.
    The category median expense ratio is 0.49%.
    Several Baird muni funds have performed well even after considering the associated "extra costs."

BMNIX vs. VWIUX vs. MUB
    https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio?s=y&sl=4qwLtot4btyXIM0kQgAIqW

BMNIX vs. VWIUX vs. BSNIX vs. MUB
    https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio?s=y&sl=1HFhIxDHpoJLGoiYFM2fd7

BMNIX vs. VWIUX vs. BMQIX vs. MUB
    https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio?s=y&sl=5iJEIzG7j2YRfu2eB8XERf
  • a. also look at the newer vtes and vteb. not interested in muni long or single state.
    b. the bps expense should also be seen relative to asset class [returns], not just the vanguard multiple.
    c. i dont want multiple munis due to the extra state tax return effort. that means a big chunk into one.
    going with baird means an extra~$1k/yr am paying in fees.

i know the baird client culture is exceptional, but that doesnt translate into some of the underlying holdings for me. and the attractive fidelity ones (e.g., select) seem not available (or need $1M+) so am leaning towards vanguard where i am ~80% consolidated. (unless i get any new info on baird or fidelity)
  • edited June 25
    I’d appreciate their thoughts on the big publicly traded retail money managers (ie: Price, Invesco, Blackrock) as investment prospects. Most got hammered in ‘22. TROW dipped below $100 and is back to about $117 now. Do they see any potential headwinds in the near future? The popularity of ETFs is one issue. How about Boaz Weinstein’s war against Blackrock, Nuveen and others (pressuring them to convert CEFs to OEFs)? Will this type of activism eventually damage the earnings of (publicly traded) investment firms?
  • Short story seems to be they're trodding down the Vanguard path. Crappy IT they can't support justifying cuts in service to people that seemed to be part of their original plans.

If it wasn't for the portfolio feature I doubt I would ever look at their site again.

I do still wonder about an ETF based on the weekly stock touts from David and Susan.

The cinnabar color scheme on evolving investors is one of the stranger things I have seen online.

Dog's breakfast coming up.
  • Enjoy Chicago. I hope you can squeeze in the boat tour on the Chicago River, featuring the architecture.
  • Well, that was interesting ...

No boats and no distinguished food. Nice chat with Charles. Got to meet Jason Zweig in person (we've talked a lot but never met). Met some cool Morningstar folks ... and a couple ... uhh, nice people. Spent a lot of time in a room the size of an airship hangar, with acoustics to match. On whole, it was the oddest of the MIC's that I've attended.

Back just recently. I'll share some highlights Friday and try to flesh out a bit more in our July issue.

Take great care! David
  • I see M*'s coverage of the conference is "below the fold." Had to scroll down to find a transcript of the keynote by the CEO.
  • Probably all they could afford. HA Ha