Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Hot

edited June 19 in Off-Topic
In the 90s in much of Northern Michigan yesterday. No AC in home. You shouldn’t need it being just 200-300 feet from the shore of Lake Michigan. So put up with 87-88 in house until after midnight when cooled a bit. So many tall trees around it’s hard to create much of a draft even with fans. Fortunately it was pleasant out on the deck and bugs weren’t bad due the moderate draught conditions, Plan to run the bike up to Mackinaw today with the old pickup, ferry my bike over to the island and ride the 8+ mile circuit. Supposed to be in the pleasant 70+ range on the island. Wish the AC in the old GMC worked. Well, I guess that’s what roll-down windows are for.:)

Stay cool guys!

Comments

• You've more ambition than myself. Pleasant here, no heat wave. Doctor's gonna work on me with a laser. Been through it before. Relax later. "What a wasted day, I didn't get nothing done!" LOL.
  • SW Montana is lagging a bit. It snowed two nights ago (didn't stick) but is supposed to hit 90 this weekend. Whiplash.
  • How disappointing. I was expecting some nice pictures of the distaff side.:)
  • edited June 19
    Good ride. Got drenched when a shower moved in. Surprise! :)
  • edited June 19
    AndyJ said:

SW Montana is lagging a bit. It snowed two nights ago (didn't stick) but is supposed to hit 90 this weekend. Whiplash.

I’d gladly trade some 90 degree temps for a couple days of snow.:)

I don’t know if you’ve viewed the film “Whiplash.” Cool in a crazy sort of way. Lots of percussion if you like drums.

• edited June 19
    No, haven't seen the movie; seems it won some accolades at Sundance, which is great. (I see the abusive instructor was played by the Farmers' Insurance ad fellow.)

Hoping for more cool (er, less hot) and precip here for the summer; recent projections are cooler and wetter than normal with La Nina coming on. This place has been pretty lucky climate-wise for several years now. If there's more NW flow than normal, it means N. Pacific air and moisture. If there's more really hot SW flow, the SW monsoon has been reaching this far north (WAY farther north than ever before, it's so damn hot in AZ etc.) and dousing any wildfire starts.
  • edited June 20
    (I see the abusive instructor was played by the Farmers' Insurance ad fellow.)

That’s the most compelling reason to watch (assuming there’s any reason at all). The mellow fella in the Farmers Ads is completely opposite the obsessive deranged a-hole in the film. It’s an amazing reversal of roles.

Monday and Tuesday we melted from 95 degree heat / suffocated from Canadian wildfire smoke. Wednesday I enjoyed a “moving shower” bicycling. Today the furnace is running. It’s cool out.

James Stack’s investment firm (Stack Financial Management) is headquartered in Montana. He’s supposed to have a great long term record. I’ve subscribed to his newsletter (InvesTech) off and on (currently on). Hasn’t done anything for me. He’s seemed out-of-step for quite a while as far as any market forecasts go.
  • Yep, Stack is in Whitefish, pretty much a resort town on the west side of Glacier NP.