Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Todays’s a good reason why it’s dangerous to short markets …

edited June 5 in Other Investing
NASDAQ up 1.5% as of 1:20 PM

+1 if you’re riding the wave. Me too old & conservative to partake - though some limited exposure thru funds.

ADD - Make that 2% at the close (NASDAQ @ 17,188)

Comments

• edited June 5
    Or, if I took the time to learn how to post a meme, there might be a pic of a dead cat bouncing on the pavement below this:)
  • Markets love the Zoloft!
  • edited June 5
    rforno said:

Markets love the Zoloft!

”Wearing Lampshades Like It's 1999” - Bill Fleckenstein’s header tonight (The Daily Rap)
  • MikeM said:

Or, if I took the time to learn how to post a meme, there might be a pic of a dead cat bouncing on the pavement below this:)

Why, if you could, would you post a meme of a dead cat bouncing in relation to today's market action?

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/deadcatbounce.asp
  • edited June 5
    Scoring at home, a distant 2nd best day of the year today to Feb 22 when NASDAQ blew its top so to speak. But getting excited/enraged about any one day performance is generally not a good use of an investor's time.

And yeah, we're participating. FWIW, I tried earlier this year on this forum to stir others to participate in Semis and the MAG7, but with little success. Much better success elsewhere as many on another forum jumped on board the FSELX train early this year.
  • edited June 5
    Thanks @BaluBalu - Nice.
  • @stillers I'm with you on FSELX. It was the first purchase in my wife's Roth IRA back in 1998. Bought some more two years later. Needless to say, she's happy with the 25-year tax-free growth.

It's also my biggest holding in my Rollover IRA.
    I have some ASML in my Roth IRA.
    Sometimes it's a wild ride, but I'm patient. Aggressively so, for an octogenarian.

When our teenage grandson became interested in investing a couple of years ago, I insisted he buy SMH first.

David

• @stillers I remember your call from earlier in the year. Well done.
  • stillers said:

FWIW, I tried earlier this year on this forum to stir others to participate in Semis and the MAG7, but with little success. Much better success elsewhere as many on another forum jumped on board the FSELX train early this year.

"He who tooteth not his own horn, the same shall not be tooted."
  • Nice call @Stillers. I took your advice and have been participating in the semi rally thru SMH, MKSI and NXPI and of course thru my growth funds and SPY
  • edited June 6
    WABAC said:

stillers said:

FWIW, I tried earlier this year on this forum to stir others to participate in Semis and the MAG7, but with little success. Much better success elsewhere as many on another forum jumped on board the FSELX train early this year.

"He who tooteth not his own horn, the same shall not be tooted."
    I think you got the wrong guy. It's my brother who has the PhD in English!

Me? I nearly flunked English Lit, so sorry man, I have no idea what that means.

But...WAG, if it attempts to suggest I'm bragging and something bad will ultimately happen to me for doing so, I'm gonna go ahead and respectfully disagree.

FWIW, we've owned FSELX since near its inception. I've promoted the fund for YEARS and nothing real bad has happened to me (yet?) for doing so.

As well, I projected (several times) Semis would Rock the Casbah at BOY 2024. I tried here and elsewhere to help others jump onboard both the Semis and MAG7 trains. Took a lot of abuse in doing so, especially on the MAG7 posts. But again, nothing real bad (yet?).

All I thought I did in the post you quoted was attempt to respond to the OP about our market participation level and briefly specify how. That ain't bragging in my books but YMMV.

If you want bragging, maybe I could list our OEFs with their YTD TRs and/or re-visit my ST trades from early this year on NVDA and GOOGL?

But I'll never know unless you drop the old English stuff and just say what you mean.
  • And the answer is , ""He who tooteth not his own horn, the same shall not be tooted." Fancy talk, sure, but he's trying to tell us that, if we don't acknowledge our own accomplishments, then no one else will, either."
  • All I thought I did in the post you quoted was attempt to respond to the OP about our market participation level and briefly specify how. That ain't bragging in my books but YMMV.
    @stillers, you may not realize it, but you do pretty much brag in every post you make. A lot in common with your buddy, FD. Not saying your ideas aren't good ones and they are often timely, but you do often toot your own horn.

Just in this thread alone:

I tried earlier this year on this forum to stir others to participate
    I've promoted the fund for YEARS
    I projected (several times)
    I could list our OEFs with their YTD TRs and/or re-visit my ST trades from early this year on NVDA and GOOGL
  • "It ain't bragging if you can do it"

Dizzy Dean
  • stillers said:

FWIW, I tried earlier this year on this forum to stir others to participate in Semis and the MAG7, but with little success.

Might be worth mentioning that many of us can read the tea leaves, but just don't chime in about it. Semis have been really kicking it all year. At least a couple of us prefer USD to SMH at times (heavy NVIDIA and Broadcom), but ymmv. As for the MAG7, I don't see how you could have avoided them? Anyway, I suspect there was a lot of preaching to the choir. Good calls either way.
  • Good calls from @Stillers. For me, he can stay with his posting style, which includes real time trades and tickers.
  • Derf said:

And the answer is , ""He who tooteth not his own horn, the same shall not be tooted." Fancy talk, sure, but he's trying to tell us that, if we don't acknowledge our own accomplishments, then no one else will, either."

Forsooth, I vouchsafe thou hast verily discerned my meaning.

Although, I don't think toot is much fancier than, say, beep.

WABAC's guides to old English

and

You'll be speaking it as welleth as I do in no time at all.
  • edited June 6
    @MikeM - I’m somewhat surprised he’s not more worried about “front-running.”

Not like Buffett - who hides his positions from the public as long as he possibly can.
  • @WABAC : I didn't say that, just posted it. You missed the Quote marks.
  • Derf said:

@WABAC : I didn't say that, just posted it. You missed the Quote marks.

I saw the quote marks. I figured you more or less agreed with whoever you quoted.

Who were you quoting?

• edited June 8
    MikeM said:

All I thought I did in the post you quoted was attempt to respond to the OP about our market participation level and briefly specify how. That ain't bragging in my books but YMMV.
    @stillers, you may not realize it, but you do pretty much brag in every post you make. A lot in common with your buddy, FD. Not saying your ideas aren't good ones and they are often timely, but you do often toot your own horn.

Just in this thread alone:

@MikeM, you really need to stop with your trolling and asinine criticism of my posts. And of all things, equating my posts to FD's, who certainly ain't my "buddy" (sic) and has never posted a trade in anything approximating real time on this forum that I'm aware of.

Earlier this year I posted MAG7 and AI projections and also posted a coupla ST trades in real time this year. The MAG7 and AI projections that were met with plenty of negative comments at the time have come to fruition. And to my own amazement, I knocked it out of the park with my three GOOGL and NVDA ST trades that were detailed on this forum in real time.

That ain't bragging in my 'hood, those are facts. And facts about the projections I'm more than happy to remind other posters of given the blowback I got when I posted them.

Be honest man. I criticized a post of yours once, we got into a bit of a spat over it, and you've taken it to heart. No need to transcend to Red Party type trolling posts bashing me because of it.
  • edited June 8
    Derf said:

And the answer is , ""He who tooteth not his own horn, the same shall not be tooted." Fancy talk, sure, but he's trying to tell us that, if we don't acknowledge our own accomplishments, then no one else will, either."

Thanks man. Got it!

Kinda like me and my auditor buds ALWAYS calling each other "Sir" because we damned sure knew the auditees we were adjusting for thousands/millions sure weren't gonna!
  • edited June 8

stillers said:

FWIW, I tried earlier this year on this forum to stir others to participate in Semis and the MAG7, but with little success.

Might be worth mentioning that many of us can read the tea leaves, but just don't chime in about it. Semis have been really kicking it all year. At least a couple of us prefer USD to SMH at times (heavy NVIDIA and Broadcom), but ymmv. As for the MAG7, I don't see how you could have avoided them? Anyway, I suspect there was a lot of preaching to the choir. Good calls either way.
    For clarity...The majority of posters who responded to my MAG7 thread and various posts on other threads at the time were
    (1) largely against MAG7 (read it slowly and try to understand it - I didn't),
    (2) had little-to-no MAG& exposure,
    (3) were intentionally trying to NOT invest in them, and
    (4) (the reason for me even re-visiting the whole thing now) were less than kind in their comments to me about my endorsement of them and AI.

Like Linda Ronstadt, "I ain't naming names," but I'll link the MAG7 thread if needed.