Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

About the 4% rule

2»

Comments

• edited September 2
    The only rules we have to worry about at the present time are RMD's. Well, actually, we don't have to worry about them until 2029.

It is our goal to leave taxable investments to our heirs.
  • WABAC said:

According to Section 1014 of the Internal Revenue Code, if a person holds property at death, it will receive a new basis equal to the fair market value of the property at the person's date of death. In the case of appreciated assets, the rule allows people to inherit the assets, such as stocks or real estate, without inheriting the tax burden that's triggered by capital gains. This is known as a step-up in basis. In states that recognize community property laws, married couples stand to benefit greatly.
    https://fidelity.com/learning-center/personal-finance/what-is-step-up-in-basis

• bee said:

WABAC said:

According to Section 1014 of the Internal Revenue Code, if a person holds property at death, it will receive a new basis equal to the fair market value of the property at the person's date of death. In the case of appreciated assets, the rule allows people to inherit the assets, such as stocks or real estate, without inheriting the tax burden that's triggered by capital gains. This is known as a step-up in basis. In states that recognize community property laws, married couples stand to benefit greatly.
    https://fidelity.com/learning-center/personal-finance/what-is-step-up-in-basis

Nice feature ain't it? The kids can rearrange the deck chairs to suit themselves.
  • edited September 3
    Don't buy the 4% rule, never have. I looked at it but it seemed to me not to take into account SS. My expense's for the last 16 years average 7.07% of last years year ending total. (including SS) -- maybe that is less than 4% without SS but why bother figuring that out. ADD: I have no idea why I track that but I do. I never use it for anything.
  • It's not necessary to follow Bengen's 4% w/COLA SWR for US moderate-allocations to appreciate its significance.

Before-Bengen, the thinking was to start with long-term stock returns, use 3-4% margin to account for return variability, and use the net as withdrawal rates. But the problem was that many of these strategies failed.

Even today, there is a widely followed radio personality who uses this as 12 - 4 = 8% withdrawal rate. But no need to go back to 1930s, this strategy would have failed if started in 2000.

So, Bengen found this 4% w/COLA that would have survived even the worst 30-yr stretches in the US. But one can use something higher and hope for the best. BTW, Bengen is still around, may be 75 or so, and is himself amused by how people got so stuck to his Rule.

The main point is that starting point should be the 4% w/COLA, not the long-term stock returns.
  • edited September 3
    The 4% "rule" is not a rule at all. It is a guide. Adjust it as you may, but it is a starting point for decisions. Also, it has nothing to do with SS or pensions. It is independent of that. It has only to do with the life, or probability of the availability of your nest egg lasting over 30 years.