Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Lobster prices / Red Lobster in Bankrupcy

edited May 29 in Off-Topic
It’s More than Shrimp

A week ago Red Lobster filed for bankruptcy. Got me to wondering if recent astronomical prices for lobster meat are the problem? I can no longer afford it as a healthy protein choice on salads. And even cooked / refrigerated crab meat (good, but not lobster) is running $15-$20 for an 8 ounce can - about right for a large plate salad.

Might this become a meme stock?

Comments

• edited May 29
    DRI (Olive Garden, LongHorn Steakhouse, etc) sold Red Lobster years ago. It's now a private company owned by Asian Thai Union Group and others. If it doesn't trade, it cannot become a meme stock.
  • edited May 29
    Thanks for the clarification @yogibearbull. I’ll correct my errant comments and then move the thread into OT where it might be of interest.
  • It appears shrimp were partly to blame!

"And then was the now-infamous ultimate endless shrimp promotion made in May 2023, for which he blamed former CEO Paul Kenny, who took over in April 2022. He said Kenny made it a permanent $20 item on the menu 'despite significant pushback from other members of the company's management team.'"

https://www.morningstar.com/news/marketwatch/2024052134/what-killed-red-lobster-endless-shrimp-above-market-leases-labor-costs-and-inflation-says-new-ceo
  • edited May 30
    Actually there is more.
    To add to @yogibb’s comment above, please see article below:
    https://npr.org/2024/05/20/1252426585/red-lobster-bankruptcy
    A private equity firm bought the chain ten years ago from Darden Restaurants, which owns rivals Olive Garden and LongHorn Steakhouse. The firm, Golden Gate Capital, funded the deal partly by selling Red Lobster's real estate.

That meant the chain had to start paying rent. That's now a major financial factor in Red Lobster's bankruptcy filing, which asks the court to reject 108 leases, letting the company abandon those locations.
    This is the underlying reason plus declining business on why the chain failed.

• edited July 2
    Dang. 108 leases. I wonder about Waikiki? Love the hush puppies. And it's the only place here where you can get a FRIED seafood platter on Oahu.