Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

⇒ All Things Boeing ... Boeing faces new scrutiny as FAA opens safety review

2»

Comments

• My intent in commenting that Collins was owned by RTX was just that only. I had no intention of assigning blame or responsibility anywhere.
  • They recently announced 10% layoffs across the board. So, there should be enough productivity gains.

Or they may simply be producing 10% fewer planes.
  • At the moment that would be -10% planes produced.
  • That is fine. I just need the situation to keep moving in the right direction. I am so far encouraged.
  • Yes, I think so also. But then, I'm not sure that it could get much worse. Actually, for a long-term capital gains situation buying/holding BA right now could be a real good move if you can hold on long enough. I'm too old for such things.
    :(
  • edited October 20
    Yep. I added more last week. I am probably down about 5% in the current foray into this stock - third time in four years. I started the first time during Covid at near $100. I will hate to give back any profits I already took on BA stock. Each time I buy, I think it is a forever holding but I end up selling for one reason or the other. This time I bought it in a taxable account.

P.s.: corporate wide layoffs are a nice event to get rid of a lot of fat (e.g., redundant management) in the system. Some managers also relish these events to get rid of employees who produce less but take up too much of team resources, including management time, but which employees are otherwise pain to get rid of because of various entrenched corporate idiosyncrasies (e.g., power hogging HR). In all my work, for sometime after each mass layoff, the productivity of my group increased. Some tech companies layoff 5% of their work force every year - does not mean they do not grow. I know it sucks to be unemployed but I can be objective about it because I was unemployed as many years as I was employed.
  • BaluBalu said:

Yep. I added more last week. I am probably down about 5% in the current foray into this stock - third time in four years. I started the first time during Covid at near $100. I will hate to give back any profits I already took on BA stock. Each time I buy, I think it is a forever holding but I end up selling for one reason or the other. This time I bought it in a taxable account.

P.s.: corporate wide layoffs are a nice event to get rid of a lot of fat (e.g., redundant management) in the system. Some managers also relish these events to get rid of employees who produce less but take up too much of team resources, including management time, but which employees are otherwise pain to get rid of because of various entrenched corporate idiosyncrasies (e.g., power hogging HR). In all my work, for sometime after each mass layoff, the productivity of my group increased. Some tech companies layoff 5% of their work force every year - does not mean they do not grow. I know it sucks to be unemployed but I can be objective about it because I was unemployed as many years as I was employed.

I wish I'd been as thick-skinned as you, about being unemployed. Only a prostate exam is worse.
  • I do not think I was thick skinned when I was unemployed a few years at a time or when I was employed for that matter. If I were thick skinned, perhaps, I would not have been as unemployed as I was. Once I decided I am not going to look for a job anymore, which effectively means once I retired, I was able to look back and see where I went wrong in not being able to optimize my effort or maximize the output to input ratio in my work life. It turns out, when it comes to life, I am a slow learner! I do have fond memories of people who went out of their way to be helpful with my career. I had tones of help outside my family - I wish I made the most of it and was not so thin skinned.
  • BaluBalu said:

I do not think I was thick skinned when I was unemployed a few years at a time or when I was employed for that matter. If I were thick skinned, perhaps, I would not have been as unemployed as I was. Once I decided I am not going to look for a job anymore, which effectively means once I retired, I was able to look back and see where I went wrong in not being able to optimize my effort or maximize the output to input ratio in my work life. It turns out, when it comes to life, I am a slow learner! I do have fond memories of people who went out of their way to be helpful with my career. I had tones of help outside my family - I wish I made the most of it and was not so thin skinned.

+1.
    I very much respect such candor. Thank you. My own career started late. I preferred school, for as long as it did not require actual work. I enjoyed what I was studying. The jobs I took lasted a few years each, with 12-18 month interruptions. I suppose I was aiming for 20 years "in," but lasted 19. I got the Big Fish in the Small Pond angry at me. Then, I said, "forget this! Not again!"
  • Oh, ya! "It's a song about Alice."
    I wonder how many Boeing planes Arlo rode on?