Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Prez Immunity

edited April 26 in Off-Topic
The questioning at SCOTUS on the appeal advocating immunity for "official acts" took place this morning. No surprise, the right wingers signaled that they'll likely move to either grant some form of immunity that wipes out the Jan. 6 federal case, or sends the matter back to lower courts with questions such as whether the specific charges qualify for immunity, and thus at least delay the court case for a considerable amount of time. Either way, it doesn't look good for justice.

NYT and WaPo have details if you have access.

Comments

• edited April 25
    Disgusted.
    https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4621749-supreme-court-justices-skeptical-of-sweeping-immunity-claims-by-trump/

Edit to add: "...Alito suggested finding that former presidents have no immunity would lead them to attempt to self-pardon themselves during their last few days in office...."

Has ANY President gone anywhere near such a notion before the Trumpster came along??? Trump is obviously THE GREAT exception to so many rules and norms. Grant's cabinet was full of corrupt junk. But none of it could be traced back to Grant, himself. Andrew Jackson wanted to over-step what he could rightfully do. Then there's Nixon with Watergate. Many other examples of criminal shenanigans.

Trump does stand alone as THE President without a soul or conscience. Without a shred of knowledge even as to what the Presidency is all about. Ignorant of the constitution. He is THE President whose bad-faith motives could be counted upon in every circumstance. Rex Tillerson said it well: "He's a f*****g MORON." But more: a moron whose only interest is in self-aggrandizement.

• Crash said:

Ignorant of the constitution.

He thinks the Constitution is a preamble to the King James Version. You mean you don't chant a phrase from the Constitution before you pray?
  • grin.
  • The "effing moron" comment was Tillerson's finest hour.
  • @Anna - you have the slickest and smoothest form of sarcasm. Love it.
    @AndyJ - Nailed it!

But I can't escape the nasty feeling that SCOTUS is going to find a way to let that orange snake slither away unscathed just as they absolve themselves of every and all ethical complaints against themselves.
  • Fred Rogers was actually a Presby Minister like myself. Yes, he was well-loved and he was quite a success on PBS. But that sickly-sweet voice of his gave me the creeps. Just remember it now, as I try to imitate him in print, here: "Can you say, 'packed SCOTUS,' boys and girls?"

Shaking my head. I can't believe THAT many voters put him in the WH, back in 2016. And still there are so many who continue to support him. He could shoot someone on 5th Ave. and still they'd adore their Orange King.

But is surprise in order? Remember my oft-quoted Churchill words, eh? SHIT!
  • I’m just trying to get a handle on this Pecker fella. Is he related to the guy that picked the pickled peppers?

I think SNL will be live tomorrow night. Should be a hoot.
  • hank said:

I’m just trying to get a handle on this Pecker fella. Is he related to the guy that picked the pickled peppers?
    I think SNL will be live tomorrow night. Should be a hoot.

Hell, ya!