Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

WZRD - hedge fund trader creates an ETF

Interesting new retail product issued by one of the original "Market Wizards", Larry Benedict. It dabbles in multiple option strategies, commodities, equities (momentum - he likes Tech), but can move to cash, etc.

It charges ~1% Fees. WZRD didn't lose money this past month, stayed flattish. Low volume on many days, as it is new.

https://opportunistictraderetf.com/index

Not an endorsement by any means. I'll hang it up on my watch list.

Comments

• edited April 21
    Thanks. Will check it out. Curious about the fees.
  • ETFs are hot, so many people and firms are rushing to offer high ER ETFs instead of, say, more appropriate interval-funds for their strategies.
    https://opportunistictraderetf.com/
  • To expand on yogi's comment, it can be problematic when a fund wrapper (ETF)
    is liquid but the underlying investments are illiquid.
  • JD_co said:

Interesting new retail product issued by one of the original "Market Wizards", Larry Benedict. It dabbles in multiple option strategies, commodities, equities (momentum - he likes Tech), but can move to cash, etc.

It charges ~1% Fees. WZRD didn't lose money this past month, stayed flattish. Low volume on many days, as it is new.

Well since it's pretty much still only holding cash or cash-like stuff, that would make sense....

• edited April 21
    @JD_co,

Good find.

It does have daily noticeable moves - lost nearly 2% on April 11. up 1+% over the last one month - may be that is what you mean by flattish.

M* puts this ETF in the "US Funds Derivative Income" category. Anyone that has taken a deep dive into WZRD, please suggest some comparable ETFs / OEFs, notwithstanding what M* says.
  • edited April 21
    rforno said:

JD_co said:

WZRD didn't lose money this past month, stayed flattish. Low volume on many days, as it is new.

Well since it's pretty much still only holding cash or cash-like stuff, that would make sense....

WZRD managed to gain +.58% yesterday, so maybe it day trades a bit? Or relies on options?

• JD_co said:

rforno said:

JD_co said:

WZRD didn't lose money this past month, stayed flattish. Low volume on many days, as it is new.

WZRD managed to gain +.58% yesterday, so maybe it day trades a bit? Or relies on options?

Maybe just the normal fluctuations in the money funds/positions it holds?
  • M* shows 24 million AUM already.
  • edited April 21
    There is hardly any info on this new ETF WZRD at ETFdb, Yahoo Finance and M*. So, see my previous post for link to the ETF website with its own pitch, Prospectus & SAI.
  • @BaluBalu - no sir, not me- maybe JD_co ??
  • edited April 21
    @yogibearbull,

I guess we can read the fund's strategy in the fund literature, look at daily portfolio holdings and daily NAV changes and make a guess on derivative plays to see if we like what we think we know. Or just look at daily price if you are the kind that has evolved enough not to be bothered by not knowing what is inside!

(The fund publishes beginning of the day holdings. None of that tells us what the fund does intra-day. https://opportunistictraderetf.com/index)

@old_Joe, Thanks - time for me to get that nap! Corrected my previous post to address it to @JD_co.
  • edited April 22
    This dropped nearly 2% on April 11, the day after CPI beat and the 10 yr crossed 4.5%. Except that the chart is acceptable to me.
  • Yogi said “ … if you are the kind that has evolved enough not to be bothered by not knowing what is inside!“

LOL / Shoot now. Look later.
  • @Balu, thanks for catching the -2% trading day. A small red flag, if one is looking to avoid volatility.

We don't know what lies "behind the curtain", and its probably better to stay off this yellow brick road until there is a track record.
  • @JD_co

searching at ETF.com WZRD was mentioned in two interesting articles / lists -

https://www.etf.com/topics/target-outcome
    https://www.etf.com/topics/income-capital-appreciation

May be someone can use these lists to take us to the next level research / conversation.
  • As with/to the Samurai.....Seppuku within a little more than 30 days of trading !
  • Wow, that fizzled out rather quickly!
  • Into the dustbin just like that? Nice going, Mr. Benedict.
  • No magic investment product?
  • lol lol lol....
  • His magic was making it disappear into thin air.