Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Well sports fans, what do you think ?

I just came across this announcement & thought the comments covered my concerns.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-fox-warner-bros-discovery-213000526.html

Comments

• edited February 7
    Not much of a sports fan. Can’t stand football. View some evening MLB games in the summer - more so if a friend’s grandson is in the O’s lineup. Yes - I do occassionally watch the NBA and wager $3, $4, $5 on outcome of a night game - but only if I’m watching the game.

Here’s what the WSJ said: “ The new service will give users access to the companies’ many traditional TV networks such as ESPN, TNT and FS1, the gateway to games of some of the highest-profile sports leagues.”

Don’t know what to make of it @Derf. I already have access to a lot of stuff. Hulu, TNT + ESPN in all its forms (There’s several ESPNs.) Mostly college sports. Some pros. Once in a blue moon I’m happy I have it if there’s a game I care to watch. But most of that “access” goes to waste.

I pay $150 for a season pass to all NBA games (except home team) and No Commercials. So can watch the entertainment out on the floor when others have to view commercials (some of it excellent). . With commercials the price drops to $100. Seems reasonable to me. MLB package isn’t much more.

Dunno what this new move means for sports junkies or the business. The networks are struggling to make $$. Too much competition and viewers can easily snip the cord and go elsewhere. The contracts for players are crazy exorbitant. Gambling and sports have become more intertwined than ever. Promos for DKings during live game telecasts! This will not end well & some day “Congress will investigate…”

BTW -I have no problem paying for media access - be it sports, movies, newspapers or whatever. It’s a capitalist system and the people who generate the content (athletes, writers, actors) deserve to be paid. What a subscription sports package offers is access to a much wider venue of games than a normal network offers. On any given evening I can usually select from 35-50 different college basketball games from across the country (most on ESPN) or chose from a dozen or more different NBA games to watch. Not everyone wants that level of comprehensive sports coverage. Point here is: The subscription content already exists. The joint venture (in @Derf’s OP) is really just a different marketing approach. Revolutionary? To the companies involved, yes. To Joe-Doe watching? Probably not.
  • edited February 7
    Joining together to form a streaming service. And you must subscribe. That just removes the content from the menu I always use. So, no-go. I can recall FREE games on the major networks for FREE--- with the obligatory stupid, useless, disruptive, screaming, bullshit commercials. But they were FREE.

Nope. Further, I will not attend at the stadium or ballpark or rink anymore, either. EVERYTHING has become a NOISE event. I used to want to go and watch the GAME. But these NOISE EVENTS today are things that go on, with some kinda coincidental sports contest also incidentally happening in the background. Nope. I'll catch the final score afterwards.

From time to time, my Alma Mater's basketball team is the subject of a get-together at a local bar, here. I do show up, sometimes. What I'm paying for are my drinks. Not a ticket to a NOISE EVENT that leaves me drained and limp and glad when it's finished.
  • @ hank : You have the NBA package, great ! I take it Detroit has a blackout on home games. To me that's BS ! From time to time I get hit with a blackout game , but nothing lately.

What I'm seeing is networks coming in & buying out certain games for showing at their site for a monthly subscription ! I have nothing against this if a local network picks up the game as long as it's free. I've paid for my sports package & it feels like double (taxation) to me.

How do you get a choice of 35 - 50 NCAA games ,basketball, on any given night ?

Maybe all day Saturday ? I'm going out on a limb, but guess you have a sports subscription included in your monthly TV billing, other than NBA package.

I guess what I'm trying to relay, the pricing for sport entertainment is getting out of hand , more so every year. The time is getting shorter for pricing per game when it comes to the playoffs, be it NBA, NCAA, Major League Baseball, NFL, etc. Hopefully my radio still works.
    Have a very good week, Derf
  • edited February 7
    - How do you get a choice of 35 - 50 NCAA games ,basketball, on any given night ?

Here’s today’s schedule. if your Hulu subscription includes “add-ons” like ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN+, Fox Sports, Big Ten Network you should be able to live stream any of them.

- I take it Detroit has a blackout on home games

That’s correct . Not an issue. I don’t care to watch home teams. Distorts your perspective - more so if placing a small bet on the outcome. I enjoy watching talented athletes perform at a high level regardless of home city. NBA teams are “revolving doors” anyway with players jumping from team to team for variety of reasons - but mostly money I’d guess.

- guess you have a sports subscription included in your monthly TV billing, other than NBA package.

Yes. That’s the point I meant to illustrate. We pay for entertainment (unless reading a certain poster’s thread on the investing side - which is free). I have everything in sports Hulu offers. They “bundle” a lot of things, so the sports come along with Disney+ for an additional charge. Provides access to networks like ESPN, ESPN+, ESPN2, Fox Sports, Big Ten Network. Heavy on college sports.

If you like a pro sport it’s best to subscribe to the league’s package. Take your time and look around. MLB (baseball) packages fluctuate in price day to day / month to month and from different sellers. As I mentioned, a whole season of NBA (men’s’ basketball) cost $100 this year, unless you opted for commercial-free at $150. What a bargain. I’d imagine a good seat at a single game would cost at least that much. A decent seat at a Broadway play certainly does.
  • @hank From what I read in WSJ today, ESPN will also be aloud to stand alone. Will FOX & FOX1 both be included in the bundle ? No more questions here until the agreement gets done.
    I wish shopping for networks was like going to the super market. Get to the checkout & pay the bill ! Jumping between media companies is a pain in the butt.
    Have a good day, Derf
  • +1 Yep. It’s complicated. It’s an irony of any media subscription that one watches only a small fraction of the purchased content.