Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trying to pull up some 2008 performance numbers

Yahoo Finance used to allow you to look all the way back to a fund’s inception. Now it only goes back to 2018. Any ideas?

Comments

• Many charting services have older data - StockCharts, Yahoo Finance (without reinvestments), Portfolio Visualizer, M*. Reading values from the charts may be approximate, but it should work for a handful of specific situations.

What exactly are you looking for?
  • edited February 6

What exactly are you looking for?

FKIQX 2008 performance - because it was an awful year for low grade bonds which the fund holds. ISTM it lost over 20% that year. / Yahoo used to work. Not today. Actually, I check every fund I look at against its 2008 record, provided the fund existed then. I’m sure FKIQX did.
  • Update - Several other funds do come up on Yahoo back to 2008 & beyond. Odd that the one I was searching for wouldn’t.
  • Using PV shows that the fund name had been FKINX and in 2008 the return was -30.51%.
    At least that's how I took it.
  • From Stockcharts -30.5%.
    It's among the most aggressive conservative-allocation, really moderate-allocation.
  • edited February 6
    Bud said:

Using PV shows that the fund name had been FKINX and in 2008 the return was -30.51%.
    At least that's how I took it.

Could be. Fido shows FKINX closed to new investors. Modest $1,000 min. and a slightly lower ER (.60) vs. FKIQX’s .70

Yes. That would explain why Yahoo only went back to 2008. I know it holds plenty of junk. But, even I am surprised at that number.

I checked at yahoo & Bud’s number is right. FKINX lost 30.5% in ‘08, but gained 35% in ‘09!

PRWCX lost around 27% in ‘08 for comparison. LCORX lost 27.44%.

Thanks Yogi & Bud.

• edited February 6
    Franklin has 6 classes - A, A1, Adv, C, R, R6.

For Franklin Income - FKIQX, FKINX, FRIAX, FCISX, FISRX, FNCFX

Franklin RENAMED the old class A as A1 and then closed A1 to most investors in 09/2018. The new class A was started in 09/2018, so general retail investors now have to buy FKIQX; it is also no-load/NTF at Fido and Schwab.

But there may be a problem in finding data for FKIQX as its inception is only 09/2018. Some services substitute/fill-in prior record by using another fund class, but not everybody does that.

@Bud used FKINX for PV run, I used FISRX for StockCharts (that is the only class it recognized*). Besides minor differences in fees, they are the same Franklin Income fund. So, -30.5% decline in 2008 if verified from 2 sources - PV and StockCharts.

*StockCharts doesn't recognize all fund classes, and the trick is to figure out which class is recognized by searching on fund name, not ticker.
  • edited February 6
    Thanks Yogi. People seem to love or hate the fund in its various guises. Morningstar takes aim at it for any number of reasons … Franklin’s Desai in this year’s Barron’s Roundtable recommends it as a top pick. (obviously a biased source ). What she said in Barron’s:

Desai: - ”I will stick with the Franklin Income fund, which I have recommended in the past. It has a 12-month yield of 5.66% and has paid dividends for 70 years. The fund invests across multiple asset classes. Its current equity allocation, 35%, is among the lowest in its history, and tilted to value names that have lagged behind the broader market. That could provide upside potential.”

It’s a weird fund in that it seems to have a risk / reward profile closer to an equity fund than an “income” fund. About 30% equities at present and 65% bonds. The bonds appear evenly split between investment grade and BBB and below.

Added: Not a recommendation. But before buying the OEF discussed above, I’d take a look at less than 1-year old INCM. Same managers. Very similar allocation. ER much lower at .38%
  • MFO Premium offers calendar-year returns back to 1960.

Default screens lean on the oldest share class. With a little creative screening one could probably get the specific share class they are interested in.