Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

United Airlines re Boeing: "The Straw That Broke the Camel's Back"

edited January 23 in Off-Topic
“I think this is the straw—the Max 9 grounding—is probably the straw that broke the camel’s back for us,” Kirby told CNBC."

Business Insider is reporting that:
UAL CEO Scott Kirby told CNBC that he's building an alternative plan without the Boeing 737 Max 10,because the Max 9 grounding has added to frustrations about certification delays.

Kirby said that he's looking to change the carrier's order book due to his frustrations with Boeing, and appeared to hint at a move away from the aviation giant.

"The Max 9 grounding is probably the straw that broke the camel's back for us," Scott Kirby said. "We're gonna build an alternative plan that just doesn't have the Max 10 in it."

The Boeing 737 Max 10 is the largest version of the narrowbody jet, but has been hampered by delays as it still awaits certification. United has ordered 150, per CNBC.

It is designed to compete with the Airbus A321neo, although the European manufacturer also expects its first delivery this year of the A321XLR — a single-aisle jet that can fly up to 11 hour routes.

Kirby told CNBC he believes the best case for 737 Max 10 deliveries is still five years behind schedule"

The above are edited excerpts from a Business Insider/MSN report. Text emphasis was added.

Comments

• A321XLR: "11 hour routes." Reminds me of the Hawaiian Air (soon under Alaska Air auspices?) 11.5 hour flight from Boston to Honolulu, nonstop. The trip in the other direction is not quite so long: jet stream cooperation, generally speaking. Long time, esp. with screaming, puking kids. The flight from hell. Can't say that I blame the UAL CEO at all.