Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ARK Refloated

edited December 2023 in Fund Discussions
M* is showing Cathie Wood’s ARK fund up +73.7% YTD. From what I’ve read, it’s running neck and neck with a Fidelity Blue Chip ETF for top honors this year. (ARK lost 67% in 2022.)

Many former investors appear to have missed the rally. Story From Sept. ‘22 - ”Cathie Wood's flagship ARK fund suffers biggest monthly outflow in nearly a year as performance continues to suffer”

One supposes now that now that the fund is up 73% many of these “fragile” previously discouraged investors will return?

Comments

• From what I’ve read, it’s running neck and neck with a Fidelity Blue Chip ETF for top honors this year. (ARK lost 67% in 2022.)

ARKK (73.69% YTD through Dec 27, per M*) is behind its OEF clone, ADNYX (available w/$2.5K min @ Schwab) (73.80% YTD), let alone its siblings ARKF (98.60%) and ARKW (103.09%).

If top honors are restricted to "broad based" funds (ARKK is classified MCG by M*), there's MSJAX, a global small/midcap fund, up 74.23% YTD.

If top honors are restricted to ETFs, but open to all types of funds, look into digital assets ETFs. GSOL makes ARKK look like still waters. GSOL was down 94% in 2022; it is up 988.89% YTD.

Over its lifetime, ARKK is just slightly behind FCNTX: 194% vs. 211% cumulative return. It's not a ride I would want to take, but in the long run it could get you to the same place. Though I doubt most people invest in this as a buy-and-hold security. Which was your point.
  • edited December 2023
    ”Though I doubt most people invest in this as a buy-and-hold security. Which was your point.”

Can’t say what most people do. I took a flyer on a small chunk mid-year ‘22 as a purely speculative play. Doubt I hung on for more than a couple or 3 weeks. Demonstrates how crazy the year was - if nothing else. Also owned First Republic or some other faltering bank for about 24 hours.:)

Thanks for doing the research @msf.
  • edited December 2023
    Seeing a bunch of Cathie/ARK stories this week as part of this latest (and I might wonder, overdone?) Era Of Good Feelings in the market heading into year-end. FWIW saying, that combination to me suggests caution with new money, especially in growth/momo names -- my queasy gizzard is telling me folks are on the cusp of being irrationally exuberant again....
  • Not a math wizard , so if you invested $1K at beginning of 2022 & lost 67% & then your investment gain 73.7% the next year, you're still trying to dig yourself out of a hole !!
    $1k investment is worth$573.21
    Timing is everything, Derf
  • edited December 2023
    Derf said:

If you invested $1K at beginning of 2022 & lost 67% & then your investment gain 73.7% the next year, you're still trying to dig yourself out of a hole !! $1k investment is worth $573.21

• Tabular data on %Loss & %Gain needed to recover that %Loss:

-1% /+1.01%

-5% /+5.13%

-10% /+11.11%

-20% /+25.00%

-30% /+42.86%

-40% /+66.67%

-50% /+100.00%

-60% /+150.00%

-70% /+233.33%

+

-80% /+400.00%