Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

It's Back at Morningstar

I was reflecting on years past when M* fund reports were printed on tissue paper and arrived in that huge telephone book binder ( Only grey beards will know what I am referring to. Out went to single reports, along with the useful information and concise analysis.

Others may have also discovered, as I just did, that the single page pdfs on funds are still available at the new M* investor if you "Download" a report. Unfortunately the fund analysis is still written by computer, but the data on style, portfolio composition etc is available in one sheet.

Still unable to import a portfolio into Investor.

Comments

• I remember that M* "phonebook". My wife and I used to go to Barnes & Nobles or Borders quite a lot many years ago. We would spend an entire afternoon there. That M* funds book was my go to, sit-around and drink coffee entertainment. I would spend hours paging through all those funds and taking notes while my wife walked around picking up a stack of actual literature to read. Yeah, ok, she's smarter than me.
  • Geez ... one hopes that 'analyst' that's named as the author of a report is indeed a live human being!

• I'm pretty sure that the eventual AI 'advisors' we'll soon be seeing will have neat little personalized nicknames; is that any more reassuring to you? ;-)
  • I'm pretty sure that the eventual AI 'advisors' we'll soon be seeing will have neat little personalized nicknames; is that any more reassuring to you? ;-)

Not really, lol. In fact I say that b/c the other day a colleage was approached on LinkedIn by 'Susan' the 'HR AI Assistant' for a company's recruiter, which he thought was amusing. She/It even had a realistic profile photo, too.
  • M* fund PDFs were free in the old days. Then, they were moved to its professional/advisory software with some legalese (for clients) & dozen+ pages. Now, it's available as 1- or 2-pages in the new M* Investor (subscription required).
  • M* fund PDFs were free in the old days. Then, they were moved to its professional/advisory software with some legalese (for clients) & dozen+ pages. Now, it's available as 1- or 2-pages in the new M* Investor (subscription required).

I get M* 'analyst' reports thru Schwab and WF that seem mostly like the 'old ones' of years past, albeit with new styling, subject headings, etc. It is nice to have one multipage document that shows the 'analyst''s prior comments on the stock to help put things in context and/or help decide how useful their thoughts really are.
  • Where at Schwab can you find the summary report? I just looked for PVCMX and cannot find any analysis

Not that it is worth anything . ChatGPT pans PVCMS saying they have a "unseasoned portfolio mangers" ( Really!!! If you know how you can dig around and find they have been managing money since 1993) and unreasonable fees ( ER total - 1.15%)
  • edited December 2023
    I continue to pull up their “fund analysis” writings w/o a subscription and with ease. (Using DuckGo). Not that bad really for the price (0). Take with a grain of salt. Use in conjunction with other sources and your own analysis. ISTM they overweight the fund’s past performance and also put a lot of weight into a firm’s overall offerings. (So whatever they’re reviewing is unduly influenced by the firm’s other offerings’ ratings.)

But, thanks M* …

BTW - M* publishes their take on many individual stocks. Just 1 of several sources I consult. But every bit of information helps.
  • sma3 said:

Where at Schwab can you find the summary report? I just looked for PVCMX and cannot find any analysis

Not that it is worth anything . ChatGPT pans PVCMS saying they have a "unseasoned portfolio mangers" ( Really!!! If you know how you can dig around and find they have been managing money since 1993) and unreasonable fees ( ER total - 1.15%)

I go to the Research > Stock tab, put in a symbol, and on the right-hand column there's all the research Schwab has on the symbol, including, if available. its M* report. Not sure if they're available for funds, but they are for individual stocks they cover.