Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

IRS is waiving $1B in penalties. Beware of tax debt relief companies.

edited December 2023 in Other Investing
Following are edited excerpts from a current Free report from The Washington Post.
The agency is extending the reprieve for the 2021 and 2022 tax years to roughly 4.7 million individuals, businesses, trusts and tax-exempt organizations

Getting a letter from the IRS saying you’re past due on a tax debt can be frightening. That fear often drives people to tax settlement companies that offer hope of significant debt reduction.

IRS Commissioner Danny Werfel says don’t believe the hype. That’s especially good advice now, given a recent action by the agency.

In 2022, short-staffed and struggling to dig out of an enormous pandemic-related backlog, the IRS temporarily suspended the mailing of automated reminders to taxpayers about overdue tax bills for 2020 and 2021. The invoices would have normally been issued after an initial balance-due notice was issued.

With many pandemic issues behind it and staffing up thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act’s boost to the agency’s budget, the IRS announced it will resume mailing collection notices for the 2021 and 2022 tax years in January.

The notices may shock folks who haven’t received an IRS bill for over a year, Werfel said. For individual taxpayers, the median amount owed is $6,751, according to the agency.

“Given that penalties and interest continued to accrue under law, the bill amounts for those who weren’t paying will be larger than the last time they received a letter from the IRS,” Werfel said. “For these affected taxpayers, we know this is a tough situation.”

So, showing a softer side, the IRS has decided to waive the failure-to-pay penalties for about 4.7 million individuals, businesses, trusts and tax-exempt organizations that didn’t get automated reminders of their debts.

But Werfel also issued a caution: “People with unpaid tax bills also need to be wary about aggressive marketing by some places that overinflate promises of wiping out IRS debt,” he said.

There are unscrupulous tax debt settlement companies and scammers who will no doubt try to take advantage of this relief. They may use it as a hook to con you or get you to sign up for an expensive service you don’t need.

“We have seen patterns of behavior in the past where marketers and promoters exploit an opportunity like this,” Werfel said.

@BaluBalu- thanks for the add, BB.

Comments

• Does that mean I have to forgive the IRS their penalty for not completing processing for my on-time 2021 return? (I finally asked my Congress Critter's staff for help with this.)
  • @anna, not sure I follow your question.

The IRS can process and send us a claim as long as the statute of limitation is open. After the statute of limitation expires, they are SOL (i.e., out of luck). We we can not compel them to act before that time.

Based on the Notice, you will not be charged penalties but interest will be charged. I had underpaid estimated taxes but calculated and included the interest charge when I filed. I did not include penalty for the underpayment and let the IRS send me a notice if they wanted to assess the penalty.
  • Not quite my case. They owe me; I don't owe them. I was just trying to make a funny and guess I failed. Anyway, after my husband died in 2022, they pulled my unprocessed 2021 return to process "manually". After that who knows what they did with it. Theoretically they owe me over a year's interest (their penalty). So I just turned the forgiveness backward. or tried to. Sorry.
  • @anna, I never received or asked to receive a refund because I always rolled over to the next year. My Dad receives his refund and I remember he telling me that the IRS paid him interest. So, you probably will receive interest on the refund. I do not believe there is a penalty on IRS for not promptly processing refunds. I see the irony you are trying to convey. A