Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

AAII Sentiment Survey, 12/20/23

AAII Sentiment Survey, 12/20/23

BULLISH remained the top sentiment (52.9%; high) & bearish remained the bottom sentiment (20.9%, low); neutral remained the middle sentiment (26.2%, below average); Bull-Bear Spread was +32.0% (very high). Investor concerns: Budget; inflation; economy; the Fed; dollar; crypto regulations; market volatility (VIX, VXN, MOVE); Russia-Ukraine (95+ weeks); Israel-Hamas (10+ weeks); geopolitical. For the Survey week (Th-Wed), stocks were mixed, bonds up, oil up, gold up, dollar down. DJIA reached new highs, SP500 nearly so. Oil rose on Suez-Red-Sea corridor disruption. #AAII #Sentiment #Markets
https://ybbpersonalfinance.proboards.com/post/1292/thread

Comments

• @yogibb, thanks for the data. You mentioned awhile back that AAII sentiment is a contrarian indicator. Do you still find that to be true today ?
  • @Sven, AAII Sentiment is contrarian. It is too optimistic now, and so are the other sentiment indicators (see below). This party may go on for a while - good seasonality, Holidays/New Year, etc. New highs in DJIA may be followed by new highs in SP500, then in Nasdaq Comp, then possibly in R2000.

Sentiment isn't very effective for full ON/OFF timing. But I use it in this way: I don't sell when Sentiment is very positive, I don't buy when it is very positive.

So, I am not buying here and have a finger on the trigger to sell a few things. I do have (and always maintain) a decent allocation to equities.

%Above 50-dMA for NYSE 82.55% (overbought) (Wednesday's drop didn't change the big picture much)

%Above 50-dMA for SP500 85.60% (overbought)
  • edited December 2023
    @yogibb, thank you for sharing your insights on AII Sentiment.

Except for small rebalancing, I have not bought or sold anything significant in last two months. In volatile periods, I tend to sit back and watch.

Cash is building up now as CDs and T bills are maturing for next buying opportunities. Still many uncertainties going into 2024 while stocks are expensive. Hopefully skillful managers can navigate through the market better than I can. Once again, thank you.
  • edited December 2023
    Interesting guys.

I’ve felt rightly or wrongly that Dow 37,000 (reached 2 years ago) is a decent marker of sentiment and valuation. That’s about where it still is today (I’m guessing that’s about neutral today). So, FWIW, I’m pretty much stuck in neutral - where I’ve been all year long. I recognize the Dow doesn’t represent the greater market or have any special significance. But over the years it’s been a half-decent guide for me (of euphoria vs bust). At least as good as 75% of the market prognosticators.

Did unload BINC a few days ago and move into an IG short term (1-3 years) bond ETF. Not a market call. I expect the former will continue to perform well. Just trying to reduce overall risk profile as a decent year ends and with potential distributions in mind. It seemed as good a place as any to take a little risk off the table. (Equity exposure fell slightly from 48% down to 46% as a consequence of the move.)

I’m structured into 10 equally weighted static segments (all but one represented by a single holding), so selling / replacing any one position is a pretty significant move, Also limits my ability to add or reduce risk incrementally. So far so good. But it’s a relatively new methodology for me.

There are so many cross-currents regarding the financial landscape now it’s hard for me to form an opinion on the future course of the economy or stock valuations. Wars, Sino-tensions, disfunction in DC, consumer attitudes re prices, and the approaching elections. All of this has to weigh heavily on investor sentiment.