Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Charles Thomas Munger (1/1/1924-11/28/2023)

Charlie Munger, Mr Buffet's "moral compass," passed away this afternoon. Wise, witty, humane and unfiltered, we will not see his like again.

He was, in many ways, what I wish the very wealthy all were: decent people largely unaffected by their wealth. I cannot for the life of me understand why the mere fact that your bank account is followed by six more zeros than mine meant that you needed to live in a house the size of a small museum or that you should no longer notice the lives and dreams of those around you.

I will miss him, though not a millionth as much as Mr Buffett shortly will.

Comments

• edited November 2023
    We have learnt more from the Wit and Wisdom of Charlie Munger than any other investor. He spoke to the man and woman trying to stay sane in an insane, grab all you can while you can, world. His book, Poor Charlie's Almanack is my all time favorite. I watched his Board meetings at the newspaper more closely than the Berkshire meetings. I will miss his wisdom dearly.
  • NY Times sharable article Here
  • Charlie Munger was my favorite curmudgeon investor.
    He was Warren Buffett's closest friend and consigliere for many years.
    His influence on Berkshire Hathaway was tremendous.
    I liked that Mr. Munger always spoke his mind - you knew exactly where he stood.
    The Washington Post published a nice story about Mr. Munger earlier today.
    RIP Charlie Munger.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savingandinvesting/charlie-munger-dry-witted-sidekick-to-warren-buffett-dies-at-99/ar-AA1kGpRF
  • This news stinks. I learned, from reading what he said and in interviews. We all have to go. There are those who will never be missed. Charlie WILL be missed. Sigh. I'm going to go light my hair on fire now.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/28/business/charles-t-munger-dead.html
  • “I step out of my bed these days and then sit down in my wheelchair. So I am paying some price for old age. But I prefer it to being dead. And whenever I feel sad about being in a wheelchair, I think well you know, Roosevelt ran the whole damn country for 12 years in a wheelchair. So I’m just trying to make this wheelchair thing last as long as Roosevelt did.”
  • From Crossing Wallstreet:
    “Knowing what you don’t know is more useful than being brilliant.”

“Investing is where you find a few great companies and then sit on your ass.”
    Link to other…
    Mungerisms
  • Very well put, David. There was always something of Charlie and Warren that reminded me of my (deceased) hard-scrabble grandfather. I wish we as a culture here in the US spent more time honoring individuals like him than, say, individuals like Harry & Megan.

I count Charlie & Warren among my role models.
  • A giant in the investing world.
  • And a very decent human being.
  • The Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting will never be the same with Charlie. Such a no non-sense and down to earth guy.