Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Streaming

@hank : More questions, never to old to learn.
After your reply, I decided to move to OT.

Did you note a better picture & or sound after your Apple purchase ?

After a google, I noted a large difference in prices, used, of different Apple streaming devices !

How does one know how to purchase the right device for his sound & picture. I currently have a sound
bar & Vizio TV. We took the first one back as it was cracked. Lesson learned don't purchase one from
the backroom when out of the box .

If anyone cares to chime in, have at it. The more the merrier !

Comments

• edited November 2023
    @Derf -

While it’s somewhat subjective, I believe the picture quality is superior as well - close call there. But it definitely corrected the freezing up and slow motion effects. Nothing worse than that when watching a BB game. Picture quality can also be changed in “settings” on these types of devices, That’s to allow folks to conserve data if using more will incur added costs from their internet provider. But that all gets complicated.

On EBay I bought what’s called an “Open Box” unit from a highly reputable seller who stated up front he would accept returns for any reason. That’s important. The new ones were going for about $140 on Amazon. This one saved me about $30. “Open Box” means what it says - somebody opened the sealed box for whatever reason but did not use the device to any extent. I’d expect a lot of these get returned to stores when buyers find out they don’t have enough data available in their homes to operate them.

Here’s a cut & paste from the order: OPEN BOX - Apple TV 4K 3rd Gen. 64GB Media Streamer

Importantly, there are a number of editions / upgrades to what is called an “Apple TV”. So I opted for a more recent model. What you get is a small black box that sits on a shelf. Power supply plus the cables into your viewing device attach to that. Remotes come along and can be mated to different units so that if you have 2 in the home as I do, one won’t interfere with the other.
  • edited November 2023
    Anybody else have comments / suggestions for @Derf?

I’ll add one here. It’s a lot simpler if you have an Apple account. If not, than you need to set one up in order to use a device like AppleTV. Here’s all the different versions of the device from inception to present.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV
  • @hank : Thanks for the run down & link. I had no idea about all the generations ! I do recall one trouble shooter asking how old the fire stick was. Think I'll enter fire stick at Wiki & see what pops up.
    Looks like you should be set for a few years with your recent purchase.

Great viewing to you, Derf
  • edited November 2023
    @Derf said, ”Lesson learned don't purchase one from the backroom when out of the box”.

Yep.Some truth there. I buy a lot of “out of box” or “refurbished” products. About 3 out of 4 work like new and last a long time. Mixed results with the other 25%. That’s why it’s important to be able to return the item. The advantage of buying slightly used or refurbished is you can get a lot more technology for the dollar. A trade-off for sure. I’ve had another “Apple TV” device for over 2 years. Not as up to date as the new one, but you’d be hard pressed to see any difference. Both work fine. The older one serves a small TV for daytime viewing. The new one is connected to a 3 or 4 year old BenQ TV projector for nighttime viewing - mostly in the darker winter months,