Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

From the halls at Schwab

What to consider now

We believe that the recent move up in longer-term yields presents an opportunity for investors who have been hesitant to invest in longer-term bonds. We suggest extending duration to lock in those yields. For investors who prefer individual bonds or CDs, two strategies to consider are a ladder or a barbell. Both strategies have the potential benefit of holding some shorter-term bonds while also investing in some longer-term bonds.

I've been reaching out for maturity myself, but probably started a tad to early.

Comments

• Think many investors have already made the move to longer duration bonds. There is a tread on this a month ago. Two active funds, PIMIX and DODIX were mentioned.
    https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/61626/selling-like-hotcakes-pimix-dodix

Kathy Jones mentioned this earlier of this year.
  • edited November 2023
    Most of my daily financial news & opinion (but certainly not all) comes through Bloomberg. I’m a subscriber, and so read their assortment of daily stories and usually watch / listen to broadcasts throughout the day. I mention that only by way of disclosure.

From their daily parade of guests (some quite knowledgeable), I get the impression risk / reward re fixed income vs. equities is about evenly balanced presently. Maybe even tilted towards fixed income (including HY). So I don’t think it’s “too late” to go into fixed if you are debating between the two choices. I’d recommend a well managed widely diversified fixed income fund (like RPSIX, JPIB or BINC) rather than taking a fling at any one particular duration or type of bond.

On the other hand, I’d guess @Derf’s question relates more to cash vs. longer term bonds. On that subject I have no insights or opinion to offer. Guess if I were concerned about it that much, cash would be the safer choice. Added gain always entails added risk.
  • @hank : (What to consider now) That was the headline from Schwab, not a question from me. As far as Bloomberg goes I've been catching some of it's commentary lately. I don't have it at home , but it appears where we're staying at till the middle of Dec.
    Do you have an idea of where to watch the BIG blast off tomorrow ?
  • @Sven : I checked back on that thread & it was going okay until the last 2 or 3 comments. I'll also take a peek at the 3 hot funds. Probably just fade away , me, not the funds.
  • edited November 2023
    @Derf. Earliest now would be 8 AM Saturday. CNN and others should carry it. Or find a site on the web. (Postponed from Friday.)

”Update for 3 pm ET: SpaceX CEO Elon Musk says the second Starship launch is postponed to no earlier than Saturday, Nov. 18 to replace a grid fin actuator on the launch stack, according to an update Musk posted on X, formerly Twitter. It's been nearly seven months since SpaceX's first Starship megarocket exploded in a brilliant fireball over South Texas in a failed launch test, but the company is ready to try again. If you're hoping to watch SpaceX's second Starship test flight, you'll need to know when to tune in, and for that, we've got you covered.

SpaceX's second Starship and Super Heavy booster test flight is currently scheduled to launch from the company's Starbase site near Boca Chica, Texas no earlier than Saturday, Nov. 18, at 8 a.m. EST (1300 GMT). It will be 7 a.m. local time at liftoff time. The launch was originally set for Nov. 17, but SpaceX delayed it by 24 hours to replace a grid fin actuator on the launch stack.”

https://www.space.com/spacex-second-starship-launch-what-time

@Derf - Apologies if I misunderstood your post. I thought you were seeking opinions on the fixed income matter and just tossed out what I’ve been taking in. Not surprised Schwab feels that way. It’s a pretty common theme now and the uptick in rates has been astounding the past 2 years, Thanks for clarifying that.

• @hank : thank you for update on the BIG blast-off !! Hopefully
  • edited November 2023
    @Derf, think there is still time to buy bonds in light of inflation is slowing based on October’s core CPI and rate hike is close to an end. The rate may stay a bit longer but it is likely to go down from there. Those who are more savvy than I am already moving $ in that direction.

If recession takes place, Fed will cut rate and that will help bonds considerably as their prices will go up. We stopped buying T bills and short term bonds and shifting them to more to intermediate term bonds.
  • @hank. Went for a stroll after work and before dinner a few nights ago. Sun just set. Saw a line of intermittent lights in the night sky. A beautiful sight I was mesmerized and just looked at it. Didn't even consider taking a pix as I wasn't sure what I just saw. My mind was telling me you didn't see anything

What it was, was a starlink deployment in the night sky...if you didn't know what it was you'd think it was the Martians stopping by to deliver Epstein's list...

Baseball fan
  • edited November 2023
    @Baseball_Fan - Yep. Saw a bunch go over my home after dark 2-3 years ago. Just stunning. Never seen anything like it. That’s usually a day or two after launch when they’re relatively low and bunched together. Over time they disperse and, I believe, get higher up. Kripes - He sends up 60 or more at a time. Glad you got to see them.

Lots of images on the internet. I’ve linked an especially brilliant one filmed over India. There’s also a thread running in the OT section on “Starship”, Musk’s latest technological amusement.

Also - How to Buy SpaceX Stock