Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• another reason not to buy a tesla.
  • @Crash - you got that right
  • edited September 2023
    Musk is an enigma. Difficult to fathom. Exceptionally brilliant. Driven. Visionary. Unfortunately, there’s little correlation between these qualities and other admirable human attributes such as ethics, morality, selflessness or adherence to democratic principals. (Werner vonBraun put Americans on the moon in 1969. Little was said than of his German Nazi past.) I’ve listened to one intriguing audiobook on Musk’s life and have another more recent one queued-up and ready to go for hours of enjoyment / enlightenment. I don’t do social media - certainly not Twitter. His control of such a medium is itself frightening.

Whether you like him or loath him, Musk is, I think, a fascinating and worthwhile study.

Re - the latest biography:

"Elon Musk" is a biography written by Walter Isaacson, a former executive at CNN, TIME, and the Aspen Institute. The book was published on September 12, 2023, by Simon & Schuster.2 Isaacson shadowed Musk for two years, attended his meetings, walked his factories with him, and spent hours interviewing him, his family, friends, coworkers, and adversaries. The result is a revealing inside story, filled with amazing tales of triumphs and turmoil, that addresses the question: are the demons that drive Musk also what it takes to drive innovation and progress? The book portrays Musk as a mercurial "man-child" with grandiose ambitions and an ego to match, who was bullied relentlessly as a kid in South Africa until he grew big enough to beat up his bullies.

Source of excerpt: https://search.brave.com/search?q=walter isaacon Elon Musk&source=ios
  • Anyhow, I like the part about beating up his bullies. But with today's bullshit Political Correctness* and Trigger Warnings* and Prohibitions* on even mentioning anything negative, he'd be the one called into the Principal's Office today!

*Just think of it as Big Brother protecting us from ourselves and insulating us from ACTUAL, REAL LIFE. Warnings in films now for everything except breathing. Jayzuz.
  • edited September 2023
    Crash said:

Anyhow, I like the part about beating up his bullies. But with today's bullshit Political Correctness* and Trigger Warnings* and Prohibitions* on even mentioning anything negative, he'd be the one called into the Principal's Office today!

*Just think of it as Big Brother protecting us from ourselves and insulating us from ACTUAL, REAL LIFE. Warnings in films now for everything except breathing. Jayzuz.

Yes, Kind of a “soppy” excerpt. I expect a lot better from the audio book’s actual 20+ hours recording. Mainly, I listen to audiobooks all night long while in bed to keep my mind active - if that makes any sense. A good sleep inducer. And when awake you’re absorbing info.

BTW - I post here by way of Musk’s Starlink satellite internet. Were it not for his innovation, I’d still be stuck using poky cellular data for surfing the internet and with DirecTV for viewing instead of the freedom to pick & choose streaming services. DVDs for viewing movies are OK. But streaming via broadband is far better.