Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Biden and fake aliases in emails? Why? Item from J. Turley.

https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/4182940-bidens-use-of-fake-names-in-email-could-cost-him/

I can recall strongly disagreeing with Jonathan Turley a couple of years back, when I heard him in front of some committee or other. Maybe in connection with the impeachments of the Orange Lump? Prior to that, when I heard Turley offer anything, it was as though he were reading my mind, expressing what I myself would have said.

Still, Turley has been around for many years and has built himself quite a reputation. The content of this article was news to me. Anyone else seen it? I offer it here because the source carries a high reputation. Maybe there is indeed something REAL to be considered here? References to Obama, too.

Comments

• edited September 2023
    Turley's rep was shot a few years ago. Like you, @Crash, I can't remember the context, but he went way over the edge the last time I heard him interviewed on NPR. He was at one time a regularly interviewed NPR "expert," but they dropped him, and they don't drop "centrists."

I have no idea if there's anything to what he says there, but I wouldn't consider him a trustworthy source. The piece cries out for corroboration from a better source. (The WaPo comment is about Hunter Biden, not the alleged fake email names thing -- so not corroboration of the latter.)
  • Turley is an opponent of the Affordable Care Act, which I depend on to make it to Social Security. So for me he's a jerk and I don't consider him trustworthy !
  • I'm learning. My sentiments are solidly in your camp.
  • edited September 2023
    There's a decent takedown in WaPo today - four Pinocchios of the email pseudonym-Ukraine prosecutor firing-Hunter Biden etc. "issue" House Rs are rattling on about, in the current Kessler fact-check column.

Main problem: the actual timeline of events doesn't work for their theory. There's also an explanation of why some officials - not just Biden - use multiple email identities. It's parallel to the Hillary Clinton private server! "issue" of years past.
    As for the use of a pseudonym, it’s no surprise Biden would have had one, as it was disclosed during the Obama presidency that senior officials had such accounts. After the Associated Press reported in 2013 that many top officials had secret email accounts, White House spokesman Jay Carney said these were secondary government accounts, subject to the Freedom of Information Act, to avoid having inboxes flooded with messages.

“Having alternate email addresses for cabinet secretaries and other high-profile officials makes eminent sense,” Carney said. “If they are inundated in one account with either public emails, or spam or the like, then they can continue to use their other account for normal work.”
  • Repugnants just busy being repugnant. Not a Party anymore, but an insurgency. Anything to gum-up the works.