Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fidelity account holders, FidSafe, free data/documents storage

edited August 2023 in Other Investing
We've not used this yet. The below link takes one to an overview page, that also has login available, where one may watch video regarding the service. Reported as a 'free' service. The page bottom indicates this is a Fidelity product, versus a third party storage. I can't vouch for this, although one must suspect the program is a third party product but perhaps the storage is within Fidelity's system. SCROLL down the page for a product link.
Anyway, this may be of value to you. Feedback about this product most welcome.

FidSafe link

Comments

• @catch22

You might want to clarify - your post title might imply to some that FidSafe had a data breach.
  • @MrRuffles Thank you, and yes; I removed some wording. I need another coffee hit.
    Note: That Fido is on the list of MoveIt CL0P breach. We do not have an alert about this for our accounts; so, I suspect a phone call is due to clarify.
  • edited August 2023
    Thanks for clarification that FidSafe wasn't hacked. I am aware of similar digital-lock-boxes for important personal documents/data but I haven't use any. Looks like glorified Dropbox or OneDrive - I use both.

But Fido retirement plans were hit by MOVEit data transfer breach. As I mentioned in my related OP, we have been contacted only on behalf of PBI, and by no one else so far on the MOVEit breach list.

https://www.plansponsor.com/moveit-data-breach-hits-fidelity-via-vendor-pbi/
    https://www.thewealthadvisor.com/article/moveit-data-breach-hits-fidelity-vendor-pbi
  • edited August 2023
    I guess it is a matter of time when we all get expose to data breach.

We are not using any cloud-based storage for our personal documents. Much more secure to store them on our external drives.

At work we use One drive. DropBox is okay for non-confidential stuff and it gets emptied regularly.

Addition: we burn Blu-ray DVD discs on a quarterly basis and stored them in a safe deposit box at a local bank. Flood is still a risk in the northwest region, and wildfires these days is even more so.
  • We are not using any cloud-based storage for our personal documents. Much more secure to store them on our external drives.

Agreed. For physical security one still wants to keep a copy in a secure location (off-site or in a fireproof safe). 19th century technology, built to last.
    https://www.metrosafe.co.uk/editorials/news-releases/date/2016/03/01/the-history-of-the-safe-deposit-box/
  • We're not using cloud storage for anything. We have a password protected Word document on 1 laptop, a printed copy of that and storage on a thumb drive for passwords and a list of all sites we use, their passwords and any notes about same. These are updated as needed.
    These are stored in one of two fire resistant filing cabinets we have.
  • "We're not using cloud storage for anything."

Not here, either.
  • edited August 2023
    Interesting. Afraid I use icloud storage for a lot of stuff. But for really critical passwords, they’re not recorded anywhere except in my head. I’ll jot down written “clues” to help me remember. If the PWs / clues reference a theatrical performance or favorite landscape photo in some manner, they are easy for me to decipher.

As I’ve noted before, my ipad’s DejaOffice files appeared to have been broken into couple years ago. A subsequent purchase of Norton Anti-virus helped stop that type of occurrence. I don’t store those in the Deja provided DropBox cloud. But they are uploaded to Apple’s icloud along with everything else.

Good stuff. Thanks for all the suggestions. Some very thorough thoughtful folks here.
  • I also have a password protected word file on my computer and no where else ( except hard copy in Safe Deposit box for financial passwords. I copy and paste them into the web page login.

Less important stuff I use 1Password which works OK. There are some places it will not "autofill"

I used LastPass until they were hacked twice

No identifying documents in cloud storage