Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trumpster's trial on classified documents theft: May 20, 2024.

Yes, scheduled to begin on that day. Gawd, I want to see him in a matching Orange jumpsuit.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/21/judge-sets-trump-classified-documents-trial-for-may-2024-months-before-election.html

Comments

• Beam me up Scotty!
  • What's the over/under line on that trial date being delayed?
  • I think it was set at that date to force a decision to delay until after the election season. This date forces the decision to be joint between the parties instead of pointing a finger at the judge. Intelligent people will recognize where the finger still belongs. But that is not all that many people and most of them are complicit or powerless. Who knows. Maybe both sides wanted this to happen this way.
  • Hard to know, but I would imagine that Judge Cannon is going to be very sensitive to not create the appearance of any favoritism after her rather severe slap-down by the conservative 11th Circuit appeals court the last time she was involved with Trump.

I'm more worried about the potential jury pool than I am about Judge Cannon. All it will take is one Trumpster to let him walk. What are the odds ???
  • edited July 2023
    It's FL which, last time I checked, has already seceded from the democracy (or rather any truth within a democracy that is not liked). Ignoring the rule of law, if you don't like the law, probably reins.
  • Exactly. But Jack Smith's team #2 is putting together another case re the Jan 6th insurrection. That's going to take place in DC, whose jury pool might see things a bit differently. And, perking away in the background, is prosecutor Fani Willis, in Atlanta. That one should be very interesting also.
  • edited July 2023
    I think Trump is now concerned that one or more cases against him (classified documents,
    insurrection, Ga. election interference) may lead to incarceration.
    This fear may be a major impetus (along with his lust for power?) for his presidential campaign.
  • I think Trump is now concerned that one or more cases against him (classified documents,
    insurrection, Ga. election interference) may lead to incarceration.
    This fear may be a major impetus (along with his lust for power?) for his presidential campaign.

no doubt.
  • Brethren, let us pray!
  • edited July 2023
    He is in a ton of trouble for sure. And he brought that all to himself just like Mary Trump said. Jan 6th case will be trial in Washington DC, and the GA’s election interference case will be in GA. The juries selected will be very different groups than those in FL. Electron interference could wind up very serious as it denies individual voter’s constitutional right.

There may be possibility a fourth case where he showed the secret documents to those who have no top security clearance at NJ.

See Neal Kaytel’s comments:
    https://msnbc.com/jen-psaki
  • edited July 2023
    You don’t suppose the FBI planted some fake “classified documents” at MaraLago about an alien civilization living underground just to see if Trump would “leak” the contents to members of his party?