Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Floating rate funds in rising, flat, and falling rate environments

edited June 2023 in Fund Discussions
https://www.columbiathreadneedleus.com/blog/as-interest-rates-rise-investors-look-to-floating-rate-funds

A informative article on the performance of floating rate/bank loan funds in various rate environments since 1993. YTD they have been the place to be in Bondland with many having returns nearing 6%. One major caveat is if there is another leg down in the regional banks. Bank loan funds took a hit back in March amid the carnage in regional banks. Another caveat is defaults are beginning to spike with some pundits predicting double digit default rates by mid 2024.

Is the best over for this category? One plus is in spite of their stellar YTD performance there has been something like 18 consecutive weeks of fund outflows. Presently their current run have many overbought on the weekly RSI. I imagine tomorrow’s inflation data and Wednesday’s Fedspeak will ……..

Comments

• Image from the OP link shows clearly that FR/BL outperform in rising/flat rate environment, but underperform in declining rate environment (their risk also goes up as they act like ST-HY).

• Below are 3 posts about FR/BL, that I made on another MFO thread last week:

"I would just note that Floating Rate/Bank Loan category of bond funds, has been doing pretty well this calendar year. I continue to maintain a watchlist of about a dozen funds in the FR/BL category, and everyone of them has positive performance for one week, one month, 3 months, and YTD. The FR/BL category has historically performed well in Flat and Rising Rate Markets, TR performance has a positive trend this year, and rates do not seem likely to fall anytime soon."

"There is always a risk/reward decision to be made in investing in bond oefs. FR/BL did very well for many years, in the last 10 years, when rates were flat and certainly not rising. As a junk bond category, (most BLs are B rated), I frequently used them in the past, as a "lower risk" option for junk bond investing. When I read the Feds intentions regarding rates, I am not struck with the impression that a rate drop, is very likely this calendar year. On the contrary, I see the Feds raising rates very gradually the rest of the year, and trying to find their happy place for a smooth landing, and trying to keep inflation under control."

"I have a watchlist of about a dozen BL/FR funds. Everyone of them are positive for 1 week, 1 month, 3 month, and YTD. "If" I choose to put some money to work in this category, I would consider some of the lower risk options (according to SD and M*). A few examples include PRFRX, SAMBX, MWFLX, etc. TRowe Price PRFRX has a SD of 3.76, an M* Risk Rating of Below Average, TR of one week of .72/one month of .78/3 month of 1.26/YTD of 4.59. Metropolitan West MWFLX has a SD of 3.56, M* Risk Rating of Low, TR of one week of.60/1 month of .79/3 month of 1.77/YTD of 4.94."
  • The low level of estimated volatility of total returns for the floating rate ETF class of bonds reported in this recent table from Wealthfront caught my eye. That characteristic appears to tie in with the relative stability of the median annual returns shown in the table above.

imageScreenshot-2023-06-13-at-05-55-46-Wealthfront-Automated-Bond-Portfolio-Methodology-White-Paper-Wealt" />

• Lots of good points.

My caution with FR/BL is just going forward. It has been a good time for FR/BL from mid-2022 to ??? If one has them, hold for now; may be still good for a quick trade. Things do change rapidly for them and lot of backward-looking data don't capture that. FWIW, when things do turn ugly, FR/BL holder don't know what hit them.
  • edited June 2023
    DT, good analysis. The CME-fedwatch-tool shows no rate increase this week, a 62% chance increase of 0.25 next month, and a decrease of 0.25% by year's end. Looks to me, not much change while the Fed fund rate stays elevated.
    If I search by Sharpe(similar to risk-adjusted performance), OOSAX comes as number one. This is a unique fund with more foreign bonds than the US. SD=3.89.
    PRFRX+MWFLX are good choices with a bit lower SD than OOSAX.
    For momo seekers, one month's performance is...OOSAX=1.76%...PRFRX=0.98%...MWFLX=0.77%
  • edited June 2023

Lots of good points.

My caution with FR/BL is just going forward. It has been a good time for FR/BL from mid-2022 to ??? If one has them, hold for now; may be still good for a quick trade. Things do change rapidly for them and lot of backward-looking data don't capture that. FWIW, when things do turn ugly, FR/BL holder don't know what hit them.

+1. The time to have bought was when the Fed was rapidly raising rates. One positive though is judging from recent outflows these funds haven’t been too embraced by investors yet.

As for one month momentum be careful. Bank loan funds are notorious for what is best one month will lag the next. Same with junk bonds. A case in point FAFRX which was a one month momentum play last month and discussed in another forum has seriously lagged this past month.

• Threads like this remind me that I should stay out of bond funds more complicated than whatever sweepings go into the sausage of CD's, MM's, or ultra-short T-Bill funds that are only alternatives to bank savings accounts.
  • edited June 2023
    Over the years when I wanted to own/ trade bank loans, I used one of the following FAFRX,EIFAX,OOSAX.
    WABAC, the only fund I have used instead of MM/CD YTD, was RPHIX. I don't trust any other funds.
  • Keep wanting to buy FFRHX, but conflicted feelings. The chart above shows Floating rate funds don't excel during times of falling interest rates....which could be on the medium-term horizon. Then you have the YTD runup that Junkster mentioned, along with default risk. Plus the fact that the portfolio is, well, "junk".

But what keeps catching my eye are the close to double-digit yields. Sticking with FFRHX, the 30 day yield is 9.55% (Distribution yield daily is 8.27%) per Fido. High risk, but also decent potential long-term compensation (yield). Is this the definition of "reaching for yield"?

I suppose that if you are a trader, it's a bit late to get on board. But for long-term investors pondering an entry point....do you really wait for the next oscillation down? There might not be one if the Fed pauses and then decides to stop raising rates altogether.

In 2008, Bank Loan Funds lost approx. -30% on average. The waves can be large.

Lastly, I would rather collect close to 5% in Money Markets funds than buy RPHIX. Not a fan, used to own the fund when interest rates were nil.
  • I have invested in BL/FR bonds in last several years and managed to have a modest gain. Now it is time to rotate these bonds into longer duration investments grade bonds - treasury and corporate. If and when the recession arrives, the FED will cut rates and that will benefit the longer bonds as the bond prices appreciate. This may be one of those rare year where double digit total return is possible for some of these bonds.

I still have a high cash allocation in T bills, CDs, money market, and stable value. It is the sticky inflation (4%) that erode the 5% yield of the cash equivalents. As these cash equivalents mature every month, I will reinvest them in bond funds.
  • edited June 2023
    "The Federal Reserve held interest rates steady Wednesday, but officials signaled they are prepared to raise rates again this year to tame stubborn inflation."

The second part intends to be hawkish to cover their a$$. What matters is actual which was NO CHANGE.
    Looking at the 10 year treasury chart for 7 months shows that several times it got to around 3.8-4% and backed off.

BTW, the volatility table per category is deceiving. We have learned since 2020 that volatility is unpredictable in market meltdowns. Sometimes the indexes which trade during the day show more volatility.
  • edited June 2023
    I hope this is pertinent to the discussion. Clipped from Bloomberg today.

Ken Griffin, whose hedge fund churned out a record $16 billion for clients last year, is increasing his focus on credit trading as he braces for a potential US recession.

“We’re much more cautious about 2024,” the billionaire founder of Citadel said in an interview in Hong Kong, adding that the world’s largest economy is unlikely to avoid a downturn that year. “We’ll look at the credit markets as a source of opportunity. Credit should be a meaningful contributor later this year” and next for Citadel, he said.

Griffin said his hedge fund is particularly focused on the high-yield credit market, with a mixture of long and short strategies. He expects the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates once more this year and then pause hikes for an extended period of time. 

Top Link

• edited June 2023
    The subject of this thread is specifically focused on Floating Rate/Bank Loan funds, in varying kinds of interest rate environments. The thread was started by Junkster, a very well known trader. Several other posters commented, with a variety of investing styles, some similar to Junkster and some very different from Junkster. Before I retired in 2013, my only exposure to FR/BL was as a component of a multisector, nontraditional, or HY bond oef. After I retired, for varying reasons, I increased my exposure to a variety of bond oef categories, including a focused FR/BL fund (SPFLX). Interest rates were not rising during this period of time, and interest rates had been very low for several years. In short, it was a flat interest rate environment. I decided that the SPFLX fund had established an attractive recent performance history, in a flat rate interest rate environment. I made some very attractive returns for several years under these conditions. Yes FR/BL funds, including SPFLX, got clobbered in 2022, as part of a market crash that took no mercy on junk bond funds such as SPFLX. That market crash is over, and we are now a little over a year out since interest rates have gone through a history increase for over a year. Now the Feds want to hold rates steady for an evaluation of the impact of their rate increases--they want to hold down inflation, and avoid a recession if possible. I think it is very feasible that rates will not change much going forward, and it is more likely we will see small and gradual interest rate increases. Under those conditions, FR/BL could be excellent performers for the forseeable future. But everyone can look at their crystal ball, make their own market forecasts, but I don't see any immediate threat to those holding FR/BL and may still be a very good option to those who want to wade in with a portion of their portfolio. I don't think I will be one of them for now, because MMs and CDs are still attractive for a retiree, choosing to stay with very low risk options.
  • edited June 2023
    FD1000 said:

BTW, the volatility table per category is deceiving. We have learned since 2020 that volatility is unpredictable in market meltdowns. Sometimes the indexes which trade during the day show more volatility.

I had a look at the text explanation of those FI categories. The "floating rate bond" category, showing annualized volatility of 1.6%, consists of investment grade fare, not generalizable to FR/BL junk.
  • There are 2 categories, FR-inv-grade (Treasury FRNs, others), FR/BL-junk.

I think that the discussion on this thread is related to FR/BL-junk and its nature, depending on the rates, is that it shows low SDs for a while, and then unexpectedly, the SD becomes high.

FR/BL is a special category of HY. So, a bigger question is, if one avoids HY, should one jump into FR/BL?
  • edited June 2023

There are 2 categories, FR-inv-grade (Treasury FRNs, others), FR/BL-junk.

Exactly my point. Seems some may have assumed the Wealthfront figure applies to FR/BL junk, and it doesn't.
  • edited June 2023
    >>>>>FR/BL is a special category of HY. So, a bigger question is, if one avoids HY, should one jump into FR/BL?<<<<<

My suggestion and what I do depending on the environment is trade hybrid junk bond funds. Meaning they have a 20% to 30%+ allotment to bank loans with the rest in junk corporates. It tampers down the volatility a bit. Being the superstitious type seeing this thread ( yes, I know I started it) and how overbought bank loans are presently makes me nervous.

Edit: By the way, MBS bond funds offer a lot of value based on how they are trading in relation to Treasuries. Many are having a stellar year.
  • Junkster: "My suggestion and what I do depending on the environment is trade hybrid junk bond funds. Meaning they have a 20% to 30%+ allotment to bank loans with the rest in junk corporates. It tampers down the volatility a bit. Being the superstitious type seeing this thread ( yes, I know I started it) and how overbought bank loans are presently makes me nervous."

Interesting comment from a diehard trader. Probably wise for others to be "nervous" as well! Reminds me of why I am not a good trader and choose lower risk options, when they are available.