Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Your longest held positions

2»

Comments

• Reply to @scott: Thanks.
    BWG
  • Looking at our client portfolios, the positions in Price Capital Appreciation PRWCX, Vanguard Wellington VWELX, and Loomis Bond LSBDX are probably 20+ years. But other long-held funds include Osterweis OSTFX, Artisan Mid Cap ARTMX, First Eagle SGOVX, Oppenheimer Developing Mkts ODVYX, Ivy Asset Strategy IVAEX, Oakmark OAKBX, Permanent PRPFX, Thornburg TIBIX, Osterweis OSTIX, and Templeton TGBAX. All of these are at least 10 years, many are practically since the fund opened.

Personally, I have owned EUROX since it first started up. It has been all over the place, but because I added to it and captured gains along the years, it has been a good holding for me, averaging more than 10% annually. But it is not something most investors could handle.

There are some we wish we held that we no longer do, but fortunately that list is small. I suspect we all have some of those "should-of" funds.
  • OAKBX and MACSX, both held over 10 years now. No intention of selling, but never say never.
  • edited April 2013
    Hi folks,

I wanted to recap this thread the best I can. First of all, thanks to all for the contributions. For some odd reason, I thought the number of holdings extending beyond 10 years would be slight....what in God's name was I thinking?

Listed below are those held more than 10 years per responses:

ACRNX Columbia Acorn
    ARTJX Artisan International Small Cap
    ARTKX Artisan International Value
    ARTMX Artisan Mid Cap
    ARTVX Artisan Small Cap Value
    BSCFX Baron Small Cap
    DODBX Dodge & Cox Balanced
    EUROX U.S. Global Investors Eastern European
    FCNTX Fidelity Contra Fund
    HABDX Harbor Bond
    IVAEX Ivy Asset Strategy
    LSBDX Loomis Sayles Bond
    MACSX Matthews Asian Growth and Income
    MAPTX Matthews Pacific Tiger
    MEURX Mutual European Fd (Series of Franklin Mutual Ser Fd Inc.)
    MSILX Litman Gregory Masters International
    OAKBX Oakmark Equity and Income
    OARIX Oakmark International
    ODVYX Oppenheimer Developing Markets
    OSTFX Osterweis Fund
    OSTIX Osterweis Strategic Income
    PCVAX AllianzGI NFJ Small-Cap Value
    PRBLX Parnassus Income Trust- Equity Income
    PRPFX Permanent Pt
    PRWCX T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation
    RPIBX T. Rowe Price International Bond
    RPMGX T. Rowe Price Mid-Cap Growth
    SINAX ClearBridge Large Cap Value
    SEQUX Sequoia
    SGOVX First Eagle Overseas
    TBGVX Tweedy Browne Global Value
    TGBAX Templeton Global Bond
    TIBIX Thornburg Investment Income Builder
    TWVLX American Century Value Investor
    VGHCX Vanguard Specialized Portfolios Health Care
    VHCOX Vanguard Capital Opportunity
    VISVX Vanguard Index Trust Small-Cap Value
    VPMCX Vanguard Primecap
    VWELX Vanguard Wellington

What great fund pickers we are!!!

Frankly, I think this says a great deal about the folks who visit this site, and particularly the individual (David) who operates the site which draws us in like moths to a flame...ok, bad analogy.

Many of the funds listed were not popular, trendy or acclaimed 10 years ago...but they are now. The key is finding these types of funds early...and that is what I hope to get from this site, and fellow posters.

On a personal note, it was interesting to see that while I only have owned 2 funds for over 10 years, I own 11 of the funds on this list currently.

thanks,

Press

• Core funds

1. FPA Crescent FPACX
    2. Permanent Portfolio PRPFX
    3. Berwyn income BERIX
    4. Vanguard Wellesley WVINX

For Small cap

1.Vanguard Small cap Tax Managed VSTMX
    2. Fidelity Small Discovery Fund FSCRX

Mid Cap

1. Vanguard Mid Cap index VIMAX
    2. Artisan Mid Cap ARTMX

Large Cap

1. Yacktman Fund YACKX

Global
    1. Mutual Series Global Discovery Class Z MDISX

Some of these funds I have had for a very long time such as the Z class MDISX which was bought years ago by the Templeton Franklin Company.

prinx

• TRP Healthscience since 2003. Had DCAd into it till about 2007. It barely dipped below what I paid for the shares and has been a steady performer. I have used big chunks of it to start and/or add to EM BOnd positions. Keeping an eye on it with the skipper leaving.
  • edited April 2013
    HAINX Held since 1992, took some profits over the years, still holding it.
    LLPFX - Held since 1995.
    LLSCX - Held since 1997. Fund closed shortly after I got in. Management says they doubt they will ever reopen it.
    RPMGX - Held since 1999 (currently closed).
    HABDX - Held since 2000
    DODGX - Held since 2003
    VINEX - Held since 2003
    FCNTX - Held since 2004
    ARTQX - Held since 2005 (currently closed).
    PRHSX - Held since 2005
  • since this is a mutual fund board, I suppose you meant longest MF, but since some have listed stock, that's easy, I have owned BA since 1978 and PCP since 1979, also sold some in that time period. Others are ELN, PEP, NOV. For mutual fund, PRWCX, since 2005, OAKBX since 2004. SGENX since 2004.