Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

President Biden laid out vast and expensive ambitions in his 2024 budget Thursday

edited March 2023 in Fund Discussions
Is there any reason to think his message helped take your & my funds down today ?

Comments

• Less impact than folks adjusting to the Fed's higher for longer approach.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/09/powell-changed-everything-this-week-on-markets-view-of-interest-rates.html
    The aftermath has forced the market, which long had been looking for the Fed to blink in its inflation fight, to recalibrate its own views to coincide more with policymakers who have been warning about a higher-for-longer approach to interest rates.

“We have clearly had a choreographed chorus of Fed speakers for two weeks that was getting us to that place,” said Art Hogan, chief market strategist at B. Riley Wealth Management. “It took Jay Powell, over the course of a very brief prepared statement and a Q&A, to get those expectations cemented into a higher place.”
    Powell would rather be Volker than Burns. Get used to it.
  • @WABAC : A very good point. Mr. Market was headed down from the get go today. I'm guessing employment numbers stay steady.
  • Lots of chatter on web that Biden budget playing to populism while other initiatives (vetoing DC crime resolution, may incarcerate migrant families at border again) indicate he is pivoting to center away from far left "defund the police" and border crisis
  • edited March 2023
    Derf said:

Is there any reason to think his message helped take your & my funds down today ?

We can wish …

@Derf - Check out how much the Fed has ratcheted up their overnight lending rate during the past 15 months.
  • @sma3, tax the rich sounds better to me than paying a 30% sales tax with our retirement money.