Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Quick Question re load-waived / NTF trades at Fido.

edited February 2023 in Other Investing
Still learning the ropes. Today I sold off a small slice of CVSIX. Hadn’t touched that one since buying it in late November. Sold only about 3% of holding. Quite obviously there won’t be any frequent trading fee assessed by Fidelity, as I’ve held it at least 90 days (60 days being the minimum holding time as I understand it.)

Now the question: How early will I be able to purchase more shares of CVSIX - should my rebalancing discipline so require - without incurring any Fidelity-assessed penalties? I understand that I need to adhere to whatever frequent trading regulations Calamos may have in place. But that’s not what I’m concerned about here. Just wondering if there’s anything at Fidelity I need to be concerned about when buying back into a load-waived / NTF fund after selling some of it.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Comments

• Short answer - no problem with what you're planning to do, even now.

Long answer - there are three different types of trading fees:

1) Fidelity excessive trading fees - applies only to Fidelity funds; kicks in when you make two round trips in the same fund in the same account within 90 days. A round trip is defined as a sell followed by a buy within 30 days. Obviously doesn't apply since CVSIX isn't a Fidelity fund.

http://personal.fidelity.com/products/trading/Trading_Platforms_Tools/excessive_trading_policies.shtml

2. Short term trading fee imposed by the mutual fund. Again obviously doesn't apply to your question, since that's about fees that Fidelity imposes (as opposed to passes through).

3. Short term trading of NTF funds. "Fidelity charges a short-term trading fee each time you sell or exchange shares of a FundsNetwork NTF fund held less than 60 days."
    https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060_www_fidelity_com/documents/Brokerage_Commissions_Fee_Schedule.pdf

Since you asked about a fee on repurchasing shares, not on selling them, again this doesn't apply to your question. More generally, it doesn't apply because you've held your shares for over 60 days. Finally, note that for the purpose of this NTF fee, FIFO applies - so Fidelity will consider your oldest shares first (regardless of what you declare for tax purposes). This is to your advantage.
  • At Fido, it is roundtrip within 30 days. Other brokers may have different rules. There are many market-neutral funds, so you should find a few that are no-load/NTF a Fido.
    http://personal.fidelity.com/products/trading/Trading_Platforms_Tools/excessive_trading_policies.shtml
  • edited February 2023
    Thanks @msf!

Yep - #3 is closest to what I wondered about. Fido has some great funds of their own, but I haven’t used any of them. No plans to. As you note (under #1) they have some stringent trading rules re their own funds.

Re #2 - There wouldn’t be a need to buy back in for the next 30 days. And from experience, that seems to be about where most fund houses have objections. But, to be safe, I’ll re-read the fund’s prospectus before buying back in.

If folks wonder, CVSIX has done better than a lot of my other holdings the past few months. Today I was simply freeing up a bit of cash after having added to something that has fallen recently. (How I invest.) :)
  • Thanks @yogibearbull. I’ll look at the list you linked.