Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

anti-virus.

Avast was what I had. No more. Avast had previously discovered a threat. It alerted me and blocked me from that website. I was using Chrome, by the way. Today, Avast alerted me again. Great, thanks. You're blocking me from my email box. OK, turn off the filter to proceed. Done... Only I still could not get in.

This is crap. Alerts and alerts. But why don't you REMOVE it??? I ran the Avast scan AGAIN. Threat found. Nothing DONE.

I lucked into AVIRA. Uninstalled Avast. Installed AVIRA. Scanned the computer. Found the malware and QUARANTINED it. Finished.

Folks: AVIRA is apparently better than Avast, if that's what you've got installed. I also use CCleaner and Malwarebytes. Together, hopefully I'll be covered, now. Until the NEXT thing that the scum-pigs insert into my machine. But hold on: unless you pay for premium, AVIRA will not scan your emails. Bloodsuckers. But if you routinely scan, it should ostensibly find the bad stuff and remove it, anyhow.

But important: you must specifically click in your settings, under Privacy and Security, to allow AVIRA access to the entire hard drive. Because Apple wants to make things difficult. Just like things are done everywhere else these days, too.

I've switched to the BRAVE browser, as well.

Comments

• @Crash : I'm in my second year of AVIRA, yes I paid up. Now that I have graduated to a "smart phone" I find ads are continually popping up, although Avira was installed. Problem number 2. Removal of Adobe flash player notification on PC pops up once every 2 weeks or so. I'm wondering why Avira doesn't remove the files that need to be trashed .
    The good part. Seems to me when PC starts to run slow or acts up, running a scan takes care of the problem .
    A few months back came upon article rating different virus protection, & from what I remember Avira was in the second half of 8 or 10 mentioned.
    I plan on talking to a techie & see what she comes up with.
    Have a good weekend, Derf
  • edited February 2023
    Yes, the popup blockers seem only to be able to block particular kinds of popup shit. I don't have a smart phone, so with me, it's just the apple macbook air. What kills me is the cookie notifications. In terms of the computer code, it must be a different animal. I think I saw a blocker for that particular flavor of shit. Gotta re-discover it. Tell the ordinary popup blockers to kill the cookies feces, and it gets removed, but just that one time. Annoying as hell.
  • edited February 2023
    Maybe OT - But the internet by and large has become a “vast wasteland” loaded with ads. Annoying and terribly intrusive ISTM. Articles of substance not easy to access. This shift has been going on almost since its birth sometime in the 80s. Initially publications were eager to put out their journalism or other useful data online believing it would heighten awareness of their products and pull in subscribers. However, they soon learned it was having the opposite effect as people figured: “Why pay for something you can get for free online?” So, as we know, many publishers have stopped providing print copy, laid off staff and now produce an inferior product (print or online) just to try and stay alive. Some have gone out of business entirely. There are a few rare notable exceptions - The WSJ being one.

Well, one trick to generate income from posting “free” material online was until recently to allow tracking apps to follow your every move and to sell that information about you to retailers, insurance companies, scam artists, etc. So … they could amass for commercial purposes vast amounts of data about your tastes in food, entertainment, clothing, your political views, your own health issues, your wealth, your travels, your pets, your kids and their friends ad infinitum by following you around the internet, monitoring your contacts list and tracking your GPS locator.

Enter Apple - which a couple years ago blocked tracking on their devices unless the user explicitly grants permission. This hurt. Meta (Facebook) was one of the first to post declining revenue after Apple’s curbs went into effect. Others have followed Apple’s lead. What now? What’s left? It’s hard to blame commercial enterprises (Morningstar- to cite just one example) for not wanting to give out for free information that cost them money to generate - be it news articles, investment data or whatnot. So we’re left with the worst of both worlds - a garbage bin of an internet plus a struggling and less competent news and information industry.
  • edited February 2023
    Yes, less competent. I cringe at the grammar, spelling and just plain typo mistakes on news websites. It USED TO BE that you could count on them to be PROFESSIONAL. No more. And what's all this fuss I hear about punctuation marks? What's THAT stuff?