Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bloomberg TV and other sources of business / investing news …..

edited January 2023 in Off-Topic
“Hulu Live TV” has informed me that as of March 1, Bloomberg TV will no longer be included in the regular lineup. However, it will become part of an add-on package (probably $8-$10 extra per month). Irksome - but not a deal-breaker for me. Otherwise pleased with their streaming service.

Looked at slightly less expensive UtubeTV and found they do not include Bloomberg TV as part of basic plan.

Sling does include Bloomberg in 1 of their 2 packages, but I’ve had dismal experience getting local stations in past affiliation with them. And while cheaper, when you upgrade Sling to similar content of the more expensive names, the costs are roughly the same.

Bloomberg airs much of the TV audio for free on their “Bloomberg Radio” app. (which I sometimes prefer to the TV programming). Also, they have a TV app for free I’ve sampled, but the visual layout is less appealing - and it seems to be limited to just 30 minutes viewing time.

Humm … For *$300 you can get 1 year of BB digital which includes access to all the TV streaming plus access to their online stories which I’d enjoy having. That works out to $25 p/m - not bad considering I pay $29 for the WSJ Kindle subscription monthly. But I’d likely drop the WSJ subscription. Savings $4 monthly - but I’d miss the WSJ.

For *$400 Bloomberg offers their “All Access” package - the digital plus additional perks - one being a home delivered print edition of their Business Week magazine.

Questions:

- Where, if anywhere, do you receive most of your market / investing news and analysis? I happen to agree with BF: ”An investment in knowledge pays the best interest”. But, if you rarely trade or make adjustments than such news is probably of limited value.

- Has anyone tried Bloomberg’s subscription-based digital access? How does Bloomberg print content compare to the WSJ?

Closing: I want journalists and their research and support staffs to be well compensated. So this is not a beef. And if a profitable trade initiated in response to something you viewed, read or heard from a media outlet in timely fashion ever netted you an additional $500, $1,000 or more profit or savings, than that service more than paid for itself.

* Bloomberg price quotes appear to be for one-time introductory subscriptions.

Comments

• There's a lot of Bloomberg programming on their YouTube channel, free access, apparently all posted after the broadcast time. Real Yield, which is one I follow, is posted same day, in the afternoon after the noon-ish (IIRC, Eastern time) broadcast. Not sure exactly how many hours after broadcast that is; doesn't matter to me that it's not in real time.

I spend $ for financial advice only on one advisor whose style is pretty much in synch with mine, and my experience/justification is like your "closing" graf, @Hank.
  • ”An investment in knowledge pays the best interest”. But, if you rarely trade or make adjustments than such news is probably of limited value
    I suggest that if one doesn't want to pay attention during the 'in between' periods of rarely trading or making adjustments; that one is best suited to 'hire' an advisor. Otherwise, how does one determine it might be the right time to trade or make an adjustment???

Where I live, cable has always been the choice for high speed internet, in combination with numerous package cable tv choices. From the ongoing access to Bloomberg, paying attention and actually learning MORE over many years regarding everything that becomes a function of investing; this one 'channel' has allowed us to have our tv cable package and the internet side for 'free', meaning that the knowledge gained and the monetary reward pays the cable bill over and over. Money very well spent.
  • edited January 2023
    ” … the knowledge gained and the monetary reward pays the cable bill over and over. Money very well spent.”

Yup - Sounds like “the nuts and bolts” of it …:)

+1 @catch22
  • We have internet, of course, but no cable. Our tv is ROKU-equipped. Bloomberg is included for free. I watch it a lot, just to keep up with the world. After the New Year of '23, I noticed I had to reload some channels. Surely ROKU made some changes..... Among the available news channels (allegedly) is just about every local tv station from Anchorage to the Keys. But it's a joke. You MIGHT be able to catch the local news in those places if you tune in while their live newscast is airing. Otherwise, you get filler.

The Bloomberg is LIVE, all the time. After Jan. 1st, we are missing TRT. Turkish radio & tv. We did have a clickable link to Canada's CTV, but it never worked, and now it's gone. There are a bazillion other channels you might want. A good many are free, a good many are premium.
    During initial set-up, you have the chance to load the ones you want, or add them later.