Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Vanguard Predicts Stock Returns — You're Not Going To Like Them

edited January 2023 in Other Investing
Muted returns. Value over growth. International over US. Maybe 60/40 makes sense. Ten years is a very long time. But, this at least seems plausible.

Link

Comments

• Even they're saying global ex-US is the 'recommended' place to be. Interesting.
  • stinks. but not a surprise, eh? I wonder how Canada fits? Some of my favorite watch-list stuff is from North of the border.
  • edited January 2023
    US stocks are traded at higher valuations compare to the rest of the world. Also US dollar stayed high until October 2022, so it hurt the oversea funds when they are not currency hedged. Broadening the investment universe or opportunities is healthy for investors since the FAANG stocks are so dominating for so long.

Please see the above link for the original Vanguard article for additional details.
  • edited January 2023
    Guess I’m missing something. (Of course just their best guess.) But those are average annual returns - positive not negative. And likely to exceed both inflation and what cash / short-term fixed income would provide. Just eyeballing the list of equity investments, it appears to average out to something north of 6% per year. U.S. stocks as a group work out to 5.7% while small cap and international holdings are expected to do somewhat better

One caveat: Those probably represent stocks net of fees. So if owned thru funds and your average ER = 1%, your return would be well below the projections.
  • I don’t take these guess too serious. On an earlier post where there were a number of forecasts with a wide array of guess…