Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Want a dividend focused MF with REIT'S,MLP's and Preferred stock a focus?

Art
edited March 2013 in Fund Discussions
Look at PAYDEN Value Leaders(PYVLX)

From Payden website. I tried to post links but could not. Gremlins.

The fund invests primarily in large-capitalization common stocks with above-average dividend yields and other income-producing securities such as preferred stocks, real estate investment trusts and master limited partnerships. The fund focuses on companies that have strong fundamentals and are expected to achieve positive earnings and dividend growth.

Art

Comments

• Nice catch Art if I ever decide to go back to the mutual fund highway.
  • I think PGDPX also fits that description. It holds more high yield than it does equities, but it has been a great steady-eddie dividend income fund. I sold my PRPFX holding and bout this fund. I've owned it for about a year now and I'm happy with the switch.

here is a look:
    http://www.principalfunds.com/investor/promo/gdif/innovative_approach.html
  • ron
    edited March 2013
    It looks like there is different management since the 2008 period, but one of my criterias in looking at any funds now is how it did in 2008-2009. The PVYLX -40% drop and a weak 2009-10 recovery is not one I would consider now,
  • If one wanted MLP's in their portfolio this is one way. Another way would be infrastructure funds such as (TOLSX) and (NMFIX)

I also look at 2008 performance but it is not the only criteria I use.There are many funds with huge drops in 2008 that are being recommended on this site now and that I own. Including Oakmark Int.(OAKIX), Oppenheimer Dev. Markets(ODMAX) and Wasatch EM Markets SC(WAEMX). All 3 of these were 40+ drops.

I look at 3 year standard deviation and performance and balance that with the loss in 2008 along with other criteria. I tend to like funds with <75 stocks in portfolio and I have preferred small/mid caps over large for a while now.

Past performance is no guarantee of future performance goes both ways. Just sayin...

Art