Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

barbara walters, 93. R.I.P.

Comments

• Barbara didn't care for Baba at first but she came to take it in stride. Classy lady. RIP
  • edited December 2022
    Young kids here - under 60 - probably won’t remember how “revolutionary” / “earth-shaking” it was when Walters was given a co-anchor job on ABC news. Demonstrates how far we’ve come as a society in garnering equal rights regardless of gender since that time. Unfortunately, the evening news has now largely become the “evening gab-fest” - consisting pretty much of eyeball-capturing human interest stories following perhaps 5-10 minutes of worthwhile national / international coverage.
  • "Unfortunately, the evening news has now largely become the “evening gab-fest” - consisting pretty much of eyeball-capturing human interest stories following perhaps 5-10 minutes of worthwhile national / international coverage."

Pretty much correct @hank - shock & awe, attract the viewers and rack up the advertising dollars. Of course with all manner of news outlets in todays interweb universe there hardly seems to be any new news like back when.
  • This about covers the 'modern news scene. News reporting has become quite bad for some local stations in Michigan. Sadly, tis not the fault of the reporters in most cases. Small budgets, producers being pushed, little time or money to pursue a local story of value to the area.

Don Henley, 1982, Dirty Laundry, video/audio link at page end

I make my livin' off the evenin' news
    Just give me somethin', somethin' I can use
    People love it when you lose
    They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda' been an actor, but I wound up here
    I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
    Come and whisper in my ear
    Give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
    Kick 'em when they're down
    Kick 'em when they're up
    Kick 'em when they're up
    Kick 'em all around

We got the bubble-headed bleached-blonde, comes on at five
    She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
    It's interesting when people die
    Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation? Is the head dead yet?
    You know, the boys in the newsroom got a running bet
    Get the widow on the set!
    We need dirty laundry

You don't really need to find out what's goin' on
    You don't really wanna know just how far it's gone
    Just leave well enough alone
    Eat your dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
    Kick 'em when they're up
    Kick 'em when they're stiff
    Kick 'em all around

Dirty little secrets, dirty little lies
    We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie
    We love to cut you down to size
    We love dirty laundry

We can do "The Innuendo", we can dance and sing
    When it's said and done, we haven't told you a thing
    We all know that crap is king
    Give us dirty laundry!

Dirty Laundry......Don Henley, Video
  • Utterly, totally spot-on. @catch22.
  • That is exactly why PBS NewsHour is the very last of the decent television news reporting, and because of that, such an important national asset.
  • Absolutely.......to Miss Walters being one tough lady and digging in. I can't imagine how many internal battles she had with the network biggies. And, yes; PBS remains an asset in so many subject areas.