Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Are the risks of Financial Account Aggregation really worth it?

13»

Comments

• edited December 2022
    I use BitWarden for my corporate accounts and LastPass for personal. Will probably switch out of LP soon.

My prior references to SIM hijack was an attacker taking control of your phone number through the port process, not emulation.

2FA can also be hacked with malware on your phone that surreptitiously forwards SMS.

RoboForm used to be an excellent offline password manager, no idea if the company is still around.

I've also used the open source VeraPass which was really good but no idea if still around.

The most secure means of password mgmt is portable USB or fob based (RoboForm had a specific To Go product for that) but it is not convenient in the world of smartphones. If one is a heavy PC user, nothing can beat the security of encrypted passwords on a USB disk.

I did that for many years, very secure. Pop the portable USB fob into machine, RoboF pops up, I go through 2 different passwords-- first decrypt the disk and then the password to RF itself. Super secure but less convenient than LastPass.
  • @sma3, unless your phone is compromised with malware, the unique IMEI # associates with your phone/SIM card could be at risk. Breaking the 2FA is not that trivial as it made out to be. The user gets to choose what the other factor is in order to identify themselves.

For security, I seldom use cell phones for financial transaction. I much prefer to use my Mac and Linux computers with a VPN service. No i have not use any of those apps you mentioned.
  • Quick search of usual tech sites ( Ton's hardware/Tom's guide, Wirecutter from NYT, PCMAG) for recommendations after Dec 1 Lastpass hack

1Password and Dashlane are top choices, with Bitwarden best for free

KeePass gets good reviews, and seems to be the only manger that still supports saving PW only on local computers, but is technical and somewhat complex to set up. Transferring access across platforms requires storing PW vault in DropBox, Google Drive etc, which obviously could also could be hacked
  • edited December 2022
    sma3 said:

@sven

I think it is possible for a hacker to impersonate your phone SIM card and break the two factor authentication.

I use LastPass but not for financial sites.

Does anyone knw any more about LastPass hack? second time this year but company says no passwords were compromised.

Anybody think 1Password etc any better? Anyone other than @Observant1 have experience with KeePass?

I neglected to mention that KeePass is used only on my PC.
    I do not use KeePass (or any password manager) on my mobile devices.

• I don't even need to know any of these details. It is frightening, and should be illegal, all the stuff these various outfits can "mine" about us all. Given the potential catastrophic results of a hack, I just will not even contemplate aggregating my accounts. Even on a stand-alone basis, the risk is there, whenever I use an online log-in. And this is all true regardless of any particular variation of a definition of "hack."
  • edited December 2022
    Yes, I've come to the conclusion that the time saved by aggregation likely isn't worth the additional potential security exposure.
  • edited December 2022
    @Observant1 says-
    Wow, I would not have guessed there would be so much drama regarding account aggregation! This wasn't a controversial investing topic like active vs. passive or domestic vs. foreign. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    For sure... me too. BTW, I just learned something new about emoticons. Thanks. :)