Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

NASA DART

edited September 2022 in Off-Topic
NASA deliberately crashed a spacecraft into a space rock today in an attempt to change the rock's orbit.
It may take a few weeks for scientists to assess the change.
This was done as a test to determine whether we could potentially deflect a large asteroid
and prevent it from striking Earth.
For those of us who don't want to experience the fate of the dinosaurs, this is a welcome development!

Link

Comments

• edited September 2022
    In 25 years NASA’s ability to alter the course of asteroids will be fairly routine. In 75 years terrorist organizations / doomsday cults may possess the same capability. Than - Look out!
  • Well, I'll be 158 years old by then, and probably won't much care.
  • I’ll try and remember to wish you a happy birthday. Will only be 150.:)
  • I may be the youngster at a spry 134 years old!
  • :-) Seriously though, I think that this "DART" experiment is fascinating, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens.
  • 143 here. take your vitamins.
  • edited September 2022
    Notice how @Crash’s handle fits so many topics that come under discussion here?

I guess NASA did a better job crashing DART on an asteroid than it did building a flawless James Webb.
  • hank said:

Notice how @Crash’s handle fits so many topics that come under discussion here?

I guess NASA did a better job crashing DART on an asteroid than it did building a flawless James Webb.

Giggle. The James Webb thing makes me sad.
  • edited September 2022
    Sad if they can’t solve it.

Recent news blurb:

“Despite the issue on the component, JWST’s imaging, low-resolution spectroscopy and coronagraphy are not affected and are still continuing. Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator for science at NASA, said during the International Astronautical Congress on Wednesday that the decision to review the issue is done to ensure that the component works well. Eric Smith, a JWST program scientist at NASA, shared in a press conference following the event that engineers do not expect the issue to cause any long-term problems, but they want to understand what is causing friction within the component. Smith also mentioned that the telescope is experiencing micrometeoroid hits on its mirror as expected, but one of the impacts was larger than expected. The scientist stated that JWST is expected to get hit with one large micrometeoroid per year.”

https://potomacofficersclub.com/news/nasa-reviewing-friction-issue-on-jwst-observing-module/
  • The affected camera is, I believe, designed to operate in four different modes. The problem seems to be in the mechanism that controls switching between those modes. In a worst-case situation they could likely place the camera in the mode deemed most useful and just leave it there. Not great, but at least something.
  • Are they just being overly cautious? Sounds like WD 40 would come in handy.