Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Sad: faulty James Webb telescope

"...The Webb images come as NASA troubleshoots a problem with the $10 billion deep space telescope. Scientists confirmed on Wednesday they temporarily paused further observations with the telescope after a problem was detected with one of its Mid-Infrared Instrument settings...."

But great shots of Neptune, prior.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/space-news/james-webb-space-telescope-sends-back-new-images-of-neptune/1251942

Comments

• edited September 2022
    Nice Neptune image!
    Hopefully, the telescope's problem(s) will be resolved soon.
    NASA’s former program director of the James Webb Space Telescope, Gregory Robinson,
    was recently honored as the 2022 Federal Employee of the Year.
  • edited September 2022
    Evidently it's an electro-mechanical friction problem in the apparatus which is used to switch one of the main cameras between various operating modes. That sort of thing doesn't sound like it would be easily "fixable" by software manipulation. I've got my fingers crossed on this one.

Excerpts from MSN report:
    James Webb has a mechanical glitch. The super powerful space telescope has only been working through its scientific missions since July when NASA shared Webb’s first images of the early universe. Now, though, the space agency says a mechanism on the telescope is experiencing increased friction, and a team has been assigned to asset it. In the meantime, some scientific observations are on hold.

The glitch is affecting a mechanism on James Webb’s Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI). This is one of the space telescope’s most essential tools, and it consists of four observing modes. The mechanism experiencing issues is responsible for switching between the different wavelengths in one of these modes. As such, it could cause massive problems for the space telescope if it isn’t resolved.

This news is especially concerning given that James Webb is located roughly one million miles away from Earth. As such, it isn’t as easily fixable as NASA’s Hubble space telescope, which has been in operation for over 30 years. With James Webb, though, fixing these mechanical glitches isn’t going to be that simple.
    Link to MSN report

• a million miles. crap. friction. yes, that sort of issue sounds like a considerable impairment. big fat doggy poopies.
  • It is a mechanical problem that cannot easily be fixed by software. My understanding is that detector must rotate from one side of grating mirror to the opposite side in order to change wavelengths. Apparently in the absence of gravity, the instrument is not behaving as planned. These guys do thousands of simulations to detect failure modes and comes up with solutions to fix them remotely. Last time the astronauts “fixed” Hubble telescope it was an incredible task. I do hope NASA comes up with a solution.
  • edited September 2022
    Sven said:

It is a mechanical problem that cannot easily be fixed by software. My understanding is that detector must rotate from one side of grating mirror to the opposite side in order to change wavelengths. Apparently in the absence of gravity, the instrument is not behaving as planned. These guys do thousands of simulations to detect failure modes and comes up with solutions to fix them remotely. Last time the astronauts “fixed” Hubble telescope it was an incredible task. I do hope NASA comes up with a solution.

me, too. i recall the corrective lenses adventure that were put on the hubble. produced way better pictures than could have been hoped for. 1989 or 1990. around the time of the first gulf war. i was still a professional student, then.