Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

When will bear market bottom

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/where-will-the-bear-market-bottom-history-offers-a-very-clear-clue

You probably don't need me to tell you this, but 2022 has been one of the most challenging years on record for everyone from Wall Street professionals to everyday investors. The first half of the year saw the benchmark S&P 500 (SNPINDEX: ^GSPC), which is the broadest barometer of stock-market health, produce its worst return in 52 years. The growth-dependent Nasdaq Composite (NASDAQINDEX: ^IXIC) fared even worse, with the index losing as much as a third of its value on a peak-to-trough basis.

Very thoughtful insights/discussion
Nobody really know for sure

Could be lots pain 3 5 monrhs

Comments

• edited September 2022
    johnN

Your pundits thoughts that you post/paste are enough to cause mental anguish.
    Wondering if Sean Williams has ever provided his portfolio track record in real time.

Do you really go to sleep each night with all of this crap churning in your brain?

More important, do you feel most of these folks know a damn thing about what is going to take place in the markets in the next 'x' period.

Their mood swings is enough to give folks mental 'whiplash' !!!
  • I thought it already happened HERE

• Nobody knows nothin' :)

70%-ish of my holdings are in quality SWAN stuff that I rarely touch, with the remaining cash still being deployed opportunistically to buy/add to stuff on big down days when things are going on-sale. Which btw is a great psychological thing, btw!
  • Sleep Well At Night
  • Thank you both. :)
  • S&P is down over 16% as of Sept 2nd, will it reach a break even point by year end?
  • no effing way. oil/gas will do well. my stake in financials is killing me. PRISX. They will land on their feet, always, but not necessarily ahead of the game. The bear-market rally was giving me false hope. The War is a huge spanner thrown into the works. Dreadful loss of life. Seems selfish to be worried about money in the face of it all. But surely weapons and defense stocks will fare better than most, eh?
  • edited September 2022
    It will bottom after 95% of individual “Mom & Pop” type investors have sold everything and moved to cash.

Never fails.