Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Cobert Mocks Cable News Coverage of Economy / Recession

edited July 2022 in Off-Topic
Pity anyone trying to manage their investments based on the latest revelations from the commentators, script writers and revolving door of “experts” who frequent the business and cable news airwaves daily.

Story and Video Clip

Comments

• i see fox noise digital credited at the end. any opportunity to mock any demublican, eh? Yes, the talk from biden and yellen and powell --- and others--- surely is wishy-washy. Forked tongue. Wishful thinking. Rose colored glasses. Forward looking statements. Yup. ..... At least the Demublicans maintain the appearance of trying to serve the public. The Repugnants quit even trying, long ago.
  • edited July 2022
    Thanks @Crash. I’ve attempted to link to a better source. (We aim to please.)
  • Anyhow, Colbert is just after the laughs......
  • edited July 2022
    Crash said:

Anyhow, Colbert is just after the laughs......

That may be. He’s certainly no Jon Stewart. However, when I see & hear average investors trying to time buys and sells based on the most recent print or electronic pundentary (consumer sentiment / inflation / deflation / recession / depression / interest rate direction / Fed discount rate and Federal Reserve “projections” - duh), I think of the futility of it all.

Do those concepts matter? Yes. It’s just that I think there are financial professionals making decisions based on those readings who are 2 or 3 steps ahead of most of us. We’re the guy showing up at the fire with a garden hose and shovel after the fire brigade has already arrived. Or the fella dipping a net in the lake right after the commercial trawlers have swept through.
  • @Crash et al

Presuming that Mr. Colbert is just after laughs, which is the nature of some of his show; I will suggest that the ironies of events, life and human nature are also an attempt at teaching the viewing audience.
    It is my opinion that some of the most subtle teachers to the general public are the intellectual comedians who are able to show the faces of "irony" to the public, many of whom; do not have deep thoughts. The initial reaction is to laugh at this form of humor; and one could hope for the best in these people to really think about what "irony" was presented to them and its meaning; be it an hour, a week or a month later.

A quick list of teaching comedians from my morning brain cells are: George Carlin, Steven Wright (especially in the late 1970's), Jon Stewart (The Daily Show). There are so many others. Mr. Colbert became a part of Jon Stewart's program, and without doubt on my behalf; Mr. Stewart could see the intellectual aspect of this "comedian". My observing Mr. Colbert for a number of years finds me assured that he has a photographic memory and a very high intellect. So, yes; at times he uses "irony" for laughs and teaching, too, IMHO.

I will alter a quote from the movie, August Rush, which is "The music is all around us; all you have to do is listen"......to: "Irony is all around us; all you have to do is pay attention and think".

Lastly, I'm fully confident that @hank is aware of some forms of "irony teachings" in various forms of literature.

Remain curious,
    Catch
  • edited July 2022
    @catch22. A fine, thoughtful, very true post. In your list, you forgot Lewis Black. Irony, yes: for years, from the pulpit, I hammered home the message that the text is full of irony, and THAT'S where your attention should be focused! IRONY in literature, for sure! Lewis Black describes finding out that the vaccine he was told would last forever, simply did NOT. And there's a bonus, re: GREED.