Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Market Uncertainty

"The future is unknown and unknowable; everything is inherently uncertain, and always has been.
The only thing that changes from moment-to-moment is how your psyche processes this.
2022 has been an excellent reminder of this."

Link

Comments

• edited July 2022
    Sacrilege perhaps. But to me Ritholtz’s writing style and take on investing (here anyway) closely resemble those of Jason Zweig - albeit more wordy. Editors at work?

Always sage advice, but by no means a comprehensive tutorial on investing.
  • Why, despite a lack of uncertainty last year, did you fail to anticipate the worst bond market in centuries? How did you not see the worst opening 6-months in the stock market in 40 years? The worst inflation since 1981?
    I don't know. On the other hand, I was very happy with the returns I had experienced with a short-term investment in bond funds that I bought because everyone said they are nearly as good for you as flossing.

Not being a fan of bonds generally, and disappointed with the yields, I sold. I'm no Bernard Baruch, but sometimes there is something to be said for selling "too soon."

As for inflation, if you were raised with the idea that it is the result of too much money chasing too few goods, it wasn't rocket science to wonder where we might be headed with massive tax cuts, supply chain issues, and air drop money.

And, well, a lot of people had been commenting on the stratospheric valuations of the stock market. When hasn't that ended in tears?

So what's the point of Barry abusing his capital letters and wearing out the italic fonts?

If you're crossing the street against the light, and you hear horns honking, you might want to look around.

• @WABC +1

On second thought, Zweig is the better writer of the two. Barry’s all over the place here. As for that “awful” bond market, it’s been predicted for the last decade. Yet, betting against it by selling / shorting longer dated bonds would likely have cost you money over that period.

I’m not anti-Rithholtz. Just don’t find him brilliant.