Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Looking to Buy: Old Wiesenberger yearbooks

mcq
edited June 2022 in Other Investing
Before Morningstar there was the Wiesenberger annual yearbook, "Investment Companies." First published about 1941, it tailed off about 2000.

Readers of John Bogle may recognize the name: his historical compilations drew on Wiesenberger, especially the 30-year returns study he mounted in preparation for launching the S&P 500 index fund.

I've been picking up copies on the used book market (only the 1943 volume is free to read on books.google.com). I have pretty good spacing, enough for my needs, from 1943 through 1966. (Goal is to assemble historical returns for funds no longer in M*; Wiesenberger gives trailing ten year returns, so I only need a volume every N years).

My university library has all the volumes after 1952, but it is a couple hundreds of miles away and an overnight stay to access. That trip would cost me some hundreds of dollars plus the discomforts of travel, and I'd inevitably forget to copy something. Meh.

It occurred to me that members of this forum might have older copies no longer of use, which would save me that trip.

I would like to buy anything prior to 1946 (excepting 1943), and also, anything from 1971 to 1977.

If interested, please message me. I paid $30 to $40 each for the older volumes, would expect to pay more for the fatter volumes published in the 1970s. If you want it to be a donation to MFO instead, that's fine too. (I'll donate for scans of key pages, even, if you are the fortunate person who owns a complete set of Wiesenberger.)

I'm not a reseller, BTW; these will sit on my shelf next to old copies of Moody's, old copies of the SBBI, old copies of Poor's Railroad Manuals, etc.

Its good to be retired with discretionary income to spend on hobbies:-)

Comments

• Damned straight. Sorry, no help on the yearbooks from this end. Welcome to MFO!
  • edited June 2022
    Fascinating post. Sure sounds more rewarding that watching the stock indexes rise and fall. Takes me back to the early 70s when most ordinary investors waited to learn how their picks had fared until the following day when the WSJ or other financial print publication came out.

I’m sorta thinking this post belongs in “other investing” where it would receive many more views and possibly offer a reprieve from the market doldrums.

And welcome to the board.
  • @mcq- I'm thinking that hank's suggestion is a good one. This "Off Topic" section of MFO really doesn't get much activity, and your post certainly involves investing. To transfer your post to the "Other Investing" section click on the little gear wheel to the upper right in your original post, chose "edit", and change the category there.
  • Thanks Old_Joe. Got to be careful when money is involved, but Mr. Snowball said okay.
  • Thanks for checking with Professor Snowball. And thanks to Old Joe for chiming in.